Chapter Nine

"Come on! They always have this huge Dauntless party that revolves around food after each rankings are released!" Zane says excitedly.

"Basically everyone from the faction comes out to celebrate," Reagan continues.

"But..." I look at them confusedly, "Why do they do it after each stage instead of after the final stage?"

"Why not? They make more food, they don't need a reason in my book if they're gonna make more food," Zane states matter-of-factly.

"Okay, then," I laugh as we all head towards the cafeteria.

I now noticed the ones that didn't make it are now being forced out into the factionless sectors. Some are even threatening the guards, but they know it's no use, I have to turn away from their pleas.

"It's kind of sad, ya know?" I say quietly, and their heads snap over to mine.

"What is?" Naomi asks, and I motion towards the now factionless.

"How they're forced into factionless," I sigh aloud, what if I become factionless? Everyone says that there is no way for you to prepare for the second stage.

"Yeah... It kind of is when you put yourself into their shoes," Reagan whispered, and goosebumps make their way onto my skin at the thought of being factionless, I glance back over to Naomi and she seems lost into space, looking off somewhere into the distance. She's such a daydreamer, I was never really like that to be honest. I kept to myself quite a bit back in Amity.

We eventually got separated as soon as we entered the cafeteria, how, you make ask, the answer to that is that I have no absolute clue. I went on through the line, grabbing some Dauntless cake, and chicken strips that are oddly shaped like flames, and then go to sit down.

Only every space is filled up. Even the group was separated. I guess Zane wasn't kidding when he said that everyone from Dauntless came out. I scan the room, and my eyes land on a spot at the leadership table. Coincidentally beside Eric. Whom has a wide smirk on his face, with eyebrows subtly raised, but I shake my head and continue to scan the room.

"Hey, Via! Don't be shy, you can sit with us!" One of the female Dauntless leaders greets with a warm smile, clearly sensing the fact that there are no available seats.

"Oh, that's fine, really, I'll-" I start, but she shakes her head.

"Nonsense," she smiles up at me, "Go sit beside Eric, he's a tough cookie but he can get over it,"

"Um, Okay..." I said quietly for once and took a seat beside Eric, who's hand naturally rests on my thigh.

Oh, heck to the no.

I remove his hand discreetly by slightly shifting my legs and put them how I had them, then continue to eat my chicken strips. Only his hand makes it's way back to where it was.

"Eric..." I mumbled quietly, knowing that no one else heard except for him, I quickly glance over at him and realize that he's wearing his signature menacing smirk.

"So, Via," the Dauntless woman, Drea, spoke up, "how are you liking it here at Dauntless?"

All eyes are shifted to mine, and I plastered a smile onto my face, resting the delicious chicken tender back down.

"I really love it," I begin, squirming a bit at the attention, and the fact that Eric won't move his hand, "I've always known that I would transfer here,"

"Oh, really?" She questions, and I nod my head, "Did you not like it at your old faction?"

"It's not necessarily that, I just never fit in there," I shrugged my shoulders, and she nods her head.

"If I may ask, how didn't you fit in?" Now I feel like she's digging for something, irritatedly, my eyes snap up to hers, looking in the dead center of them.

"If I may," she nods her head for me to continue, "I just wanted to say that I, uh, go by the saying faction before blood," I don't but she doesn't know that, "and that was my blood, I suppose, but this is my faction,"

"Very well," she nodded proudly, "You're doing quite well in training I hear,"

"I guess you could say that," I smiled a bit, my cheeks slightly heating up.

"Eric says you're one of the best transfers he's had in years," my eyebrows shoot up in surprise before I turn to Eric.

"Really?" I ask, turning back and she nods her head.

"Yeah," and then one of the leaders suck her into another conversation, I let out a quiet breath of relief as the tension that was once there left me.

Except for that dang hand.

"Eric," I know he can hear me but no one else can, "I swear to you, if you don't move that hand of yours, I'm going to-"

"What's your favorite part of training, Via?" Drea asked me, and I snap my head up, praying my skin doesn't turn red.

"Um... Probably knife throwing," I answered, and she nodded her head before getting back to whatever she and the rest of the leaders were talking about.

"You're going to what," he slouches a bit, and pretends to be looking at something over my shoulder, "baby doll?"

"I'll cut," I start slowly, my breath slightly hitches in my throat, "I'll cut it off,"

"Mhm," he whispers, "I don't think you have the heart to-"

I slowly bend back his pinkie, and his eyes widen, but thankfully no one seems to notice. Farther, farther.

"Fine..." He mumbles, and I release.

"I'm going to go back to the dorms," I offer the leaders a smile before standing up with my tray and trot out of the cafeteria.

As I'm walking down the corridors I decide to explore a bit. I go down several twists and turns, slightly afraid of getting lost but I find myself at the net where I had jumped. I fall back on the net, remembering the feeling of me being in the air.

"What are you doing?" Eric asked, and my head snapped towards his, "I thought you were going to the dorms,"

"Did you follow me?"

"No,"

"Liar," I scoff, "Besides, what's it matter?"

"You could get hurt," he steps closer to me, shaking his head slightly.

"What?" I look down at what I'm wearing to check for stains, none.

"What is it about you?" He turns around and slightly paces.

"Stop, you're making me nervous," I mentally punch myself, he stops, stalking over to me, smirking down at me.

"Do I make you..." His lips brush against my ears, "Nervous? Or scared, Via?"

"No, uh, no..." I stuttered, giving him his answer, was I afraid of him? No, but he made me extremely nervous, and I turned my head to the side.

"Are you," I feel his breath against my neck, and I breathe in sharply, "sure, I don't?"

"Um..." Is all that'll come out.

Snap out of it Via! I harshly swallow, and he grins at me, cocking his head to the side, and leans his head down to my neck as if he were going to kiss it like how they always do in those romance books. But he turns and walks away leaving me breathing really hard as I had run a quarter of a lap extremely out of shape.

Q:
Ever been kissed?

A:
No, still waiting...