I Wish I Was Like Them

Felt like I should write on this 😂

"Is it just me or has Scarlet been acting werid?"

Jack had nodded to his fellow newsie, Race. They both talked about they think something is up with there younger sister. They weren't blood related but they saw each other as family.

They both agreed she's just been...off. It was hard to explain. It wasn't like anything big. She was still the bright girl everyone loved. But there was something that wasn't quite right.

Race says once he caught her an hour early to get ready for work, trying to fix her hair. There has been times Jack has caught her looking at Katherine. That wasn't a big thing, Katherine was like a sister to her, though she seemed to look sad as she looked at her.

"I'll check on her tomorrow. Just in case someone is bothering her"

"If anyone is" Race smoked his cigar "Call on me"

He added "We're family"

-----

So after lunch Jack had decided to go to Scarlet's  selling spot. It was a sunny day so the streets were super busy but he could see the young girl.

Nothing looked bad. She was selling her papes on her spot. People came up and bought them, you know the normal stuff.

"Jessica wait up!"

Jack turned his head to a bunch of school girls. They were just laughing about something as they walked across the street. Their outfits were quite new and probably the latest fashion. Their hair with pinned up nicely and they made nice make up to match their outfits.

His attention was then put on Scarlet again as she stood there looking at the girls. She stood looking at them before she kinda looked at herself. She put her head down as they walked past her, not giving her a second look.

"Oh Scarlet" Jack sadly smiled.

------

"Stupid brush!" Scarlet has thrown her brush across the room, after coming back from the washroom. She had spent around 30 minutes trying to get her hair right. With no success. 

"Ugh!" She had opened the window and sat outside on the metal steps. She didn't understand how those girls, who past her everyday, get their hair like that. "I wish I was them"

"Scarlet?" She heard Jack call. She shouted she was outside and he put his head through the window. "What ya doing here?"

"I don't know. Looking at the view" She mumbled. Jack gave a smirk "Now why are you in a mood? "

"I ain't"

Jack gave her a look before sitting next to her. She looked away from him a bit. "Does this have something to do with the girls at your selling spot?"

"....no"

"Are you sure? "

"....yes"

Jack looked over at the young girl. He nudged her a bit "I ain't Spot Conlon you know" This was little joke the boys had with her. When she was little she was so scared of him.

"I know that"

They were both silent from a moment. They just looked over at the sun set. New York always looked so beautiful at this time of day. Though the silence broke as Jack heard Scarlet sniffle.

"Scarlet, you -"

Jack was stopped when she gave him
a hug. He could definitely tell she was crying. He smiled down and stroked her hair. "Shh. It's ok"

"It's not fair" She mumbled. Her face was hidden, not wanting to make eye contact. "What's not fair?"

"I can never look right" she cried more. Jack looked down at her again "Don't say that"

"But it's true. My hair is a mess, my eyebrows are terrible, I got spots, my nose is weird, I hate my feckles, my clothes are covered in dirt and I look nothing like those other girls. "

"Now why would you want to be?" Jack had let go of her. She wiped her eyes as he spoke

"You're hair isn't a mess. When it is, it's because you've been messing around with the guys. You're freckles ain't bad, everyone finds them cute. I don't think your eyebrows are bad. Everyone gets spots. Also just because they have fancier stuff dosnet make them pretty"

He smiled at her "Those girls probably look at you and say to each other 'Hey look isn't it that pretty newsie girl.I want to be like her'"

Scarlet couldn't help but laugh when he made that girly vocie. She hugged his side as he talked more "You don't need fancy dresses or change your hair for people to like you. You do so much than they'll ever do in their lifetime. You so hard and I even bet they admire it"

"Thanks, Jack" she spoke hugging him. She was so glad to have someone like him.

"No problem, sis"

Don't know if I wrote it well but if hope you got my message 😊😂
Also if anyone wants to talk you can always text me 😊