EIGHT ☆ THE LIFE HE PROMISED

It was a dark, cloudy morning, and Brendon took a large step outside of the museum to take a quick breather. He noticed that most of the people outside were simply buying the daily newspaper. Perhaps they were buying the warm, delicious bread that was selling at the bakery down the street. Or maybe they were just buying clothes that they could afford. Brendon noticed that O'Malley was standing next to the booth that was standing on front of the museum. Brendon quickly greeted O'Malley by simply tipping his black top hat to him. After greeting his friend, Brendon was then greeted by someone else. It was a man, the same man from the show the previous night who had a notebook in his hand. The only difference is that Brendon could see the man better. The man had a pale complexion, and he was dressed in a black suit, along with a little top hat that covered his black hair. Brendon noticed that the man didn't have a very friendly look on his face, so he didn't know what kind of conversation he was going to have exactly.

"Well if it isn't the famous Brendon Urie," the man called out. His voice sounded calm, yet sarcastic at the same time.

"And who you might be, sir?" Brendon smiled.

"The name's Gerard Way, and I am a reporter for the daily newspaper,"

"Mmm, I assume that you are here to take in another show, huh?"

"Tell me, Mr. Urie," Gerard started cooly, "Does it bother you that everything you're selling is fake?"

Brendon was taken a little aback by Gerard's question. He didn't know what the critic meant exactly by that question. Sure, he knew that his shows are just a couple of people performing, but where was the fakeness? Perhaps Gerard insisted on the show just being a big money ploy, which Brendon could disagree on. Brendon then thought about the audiences of his shows. No one could argue that the reactions of an audience are fake, even if the show itself was fake.

"Do these smiles seem fake?" Brendon asked, referring to his audience. "It doesn't matter where they come from. The joy is real."

"So you are a philanthropist," Gerard smirked.

"Well, hyperbole isn't the worst crime. Men suffer more from imagining too little than too much,"

"The creed of a true fraud,"

Gerard gave Brendon this look which was a mocking look, yet it was a look that showed that he was indeed a little serious about his words. Brendon gave out a little chuckle towards Gerard, and he walked towards the young critic.

"Mr. Way," Brendon started, "When was the last time you smiled? Or had a good laugh? A real laugh."

Gerard didn't answer, which indicated to Brendon that the poor man didn't have a good laugh at all. Brendon couldn't help but to feel a little sorry that the critic just took things too seriously, and not even enjoyed himself. In fact, he was mind-blown at the fact that Gerard didn't even bother to give out a little, hearty chuckle. It's quite sad for Brendon to even think about.

"Huh? A theater critic who can't find joy in the theater?" Brendon testified, "Now who's the fraud?"

There was silence, and Brendon gave Gerard a little and cocky smirk. The man then walked off, leaving the critic to his thoughts. But before, he went away completely, Brendon quickly gave a quick turn and faced Gerard again.

"Oh, Mr. Way," Brendon called out. Gerard turned around. "That word you used to describe my show, it has a nice ring to it."

Brendon tipped off his hat, and he walked away to the streets. Gerard turned around, and he noticed that something has changed about the Urie Museum. He noticed that the entire building was rebranded, which meant that the building was no longer called Urie's American Museum of Curiosity. The building was officially renamed Brendon Urie's Circus.