7 - The Promise (4/20/2019 edit)

If you read the other A/N you'll know why this chapter is so short. Hope you enjoy! P.S. I did just add a little to this chapter.  

________________________________________________________________________________

7

The Promise

HAMLIN

"Eden, open your eyes!" Barbra pushed past a stunned and silent Hamlin and rushed to Eden's side.

Eden tried pushing something away. The noises released from her throat were something Hamlin had never heard before. It was a cross between a feral cry and a gut retching sob. Two very distinct emotions of understanding and regret. She was battling against her memories and it was a war she would continue to fight until the day she died. That much Hamlin knew.

"You need to breathe, dear." Barbra did her best to calm Eden down. "Remember how I taught you? In through your nose and out through your mouth. Do it with me, okay?" She breathed deeply in through her nose and Eden, with her eyes still clamped shut, followed suit. "Good job. Now out through your mouth."

Eden's lips parted. She breathed out a shaky breath. The pair repeated the pattern until Eden's shoulders relaxed and she began to calm down.

"It's okay if you don't remember me." Hamlin ran a nervous hand over his sweaty forehead and stammered on, "Hell, even I got trouble rememberin' that night."

He glanced back at Jones, looking for reassurance but Jones wasn't paying attention. She was perched on the edge of her seat, watching the other women intently.

"Anyway, I'm glad you're okay, Ms. Burrows. I didn't mean any harm, honest to God. If I did...well, I'm sorry." The words tumbled out of his mouth like word vomit.

"Will you do your damn job and get these fools the hell out of here?" Barbra glared up at the nurse. "Now!" she demanded when no one moved.

Eden's eyes snapped open that instant and omitted a long gurgling plea. Shaking her head, she pointed towards officer Jones and Hamlin at the foot of the bed.

For the first time her gaze met Hamlin's.

What he saw was something that would haunt his dreams for the rest of his short life. It wasn't the look of sadness behind her dull colored irises, nor was it the pain etched across her features. It was the expression of utter bewilderment. The unadulterated fear of what would happen next if they left her here in this room.

Her eyes revealed her truth. If you leave what will become of me?

No one knows. Hamlin glanced toward the ceiling as tears clouded his vision. Except for maybe the big guy upstairs and maybe the Devil himself. But for us ordinary folk, those livin' in the in-between, we'll never know when our times up. But your time ain't up, Eden. I can promise you that. He offered Eden a small nod and vowed to protect her. I don't know how, and I don't know when, but as God as my witness I will find the man responsible and bring him to justice. 

Words: 610

Don't forget to check out my other stories!

The Hilstead Experiment: 1986 - Three prisoners escape an experiment involving human subjects.

The Hilstead Experiment: Adrift - Ten strangers board a plane that crashes into the ocean, turning their promised paradise vacation into a deadly experiment of survival.

The Carriers - Tainted meat turns a small farming town into a parasitic zombie war zone only a vegetarian can handle.

In The Pines- Annabel Lee enters into the highest rated gameshow of the afterlife to win a second chance at life.

And if you're looking for writing advice check out my story Year of the Author.