10 - The Pen (4/21/19 Edit)

Only two more chapters to go and we are back to normal guys. 

________________________________________________________________________________

10

MADDI

The nurse, who Hamlin will later come to know as Maddi Devers, seemed oblivious to everything around her. She moved about the room with ease, preparing the small space for them to work in.

She made sure Eden was comfortable, leaning her back against the mound of pillows. After positioning the rolling table over the bed to cover Eden's lap, Maddi Devers fished a surprise out of her pocket and held it up with a ridiculous grin on her face. In her hand was a gaudy multicolored pen meant for a five-year-old but would be perfect for someone who just lost the majority of their fingers. Its thick base would make it much easier for Eden to grip. While Officer Hamlin was purchasing his notebook she spotted it among the rack of last minute items and snagged the last one, knowing if Eden didn't wanted she could keep it for herself.

"I thought you might like this a little more than the other pen. You can write in any color you want. See?" She switched between a few of the colors to demonstrate how to use it. "I had one of these when I was a kid. I'd use the different colors to code my emotions. It was a puzzle to which I only knew the answers."

The nurse sat next to Eden on the bed. "If I were feeling sad I'd use blue. Yellow would be for happiness. Pink was for when I talked about my crushes. And red," She paused, shrugging her shoulders, "is the universal sign for anger I guess. But green was the special one." She whispered. "It was for secrets."

Words: 396

Don't forget to check out my other stories!

The Hilstead Experiment: 1986 - Three prisoners escape an experiment involving human subjects.

The Hilstead Experiment: Adrift - Ten strangers board a plane that crashes into the ocean, turning their promised paradise vacation into a deadly experiment of survival.

The Carriers - Tainted meat turns a small farming town into a parasitic zombie war zone only a vegetarian can handle.

In The Pines- Annabel Lee enters into the highest rated gameshow of the afterlife to win a second chance at life.

And if you're looking for writing advice check out my story Year of the Author.