07: Complicated

**EDITED: 5/15/17**

I smiled when I saw the pond come into view, and ran over to it with my vampire speed. I sat on the same rock I did last time, and dipped my foot into the water. I sighed and closed my eyes, focusing on the feeling of my foot into the water. The water was cool against my skin and I let my other foot sink into the water. I lightly kicked my feet, watching as they created swirls in the water.

I smiled softly when I realized that I could feel my heart beating lightly in my chest, reveling in the familiar yet strange feeling. Despite the strangeness of feeling like a human again, I didn't want to make the feeling go away. It was nice to feel my heartbeat again. I lifted my hand to my chest, feeling my chest rise and fall with my breathing.

My eyes snapped open when I heard a twig snap in the woods. I turned my gaze to where I thought the sound was, my eyes narrowing. I noticed that I still had my enhanced senses, suddenly grateful for them so that no one could sneak up on me.

I smiled when the large wolf from yesterday came out of the shadows. "Hello," I said, watching as it slowly made its way closer to me.

My wolf plopped down next to me and he laid his head next to my lap. I laughed lightly and petted his head softly.

"My brother said there were wolves in the forest that could hurt me," I said quietly, staring into the water. "He said they were shifters, able to turn from a human into a wolf." My wolf stiffened and I looked into his big brown eyes. "Are you one of those?" I whispered.

My wolf suddenly stood up, his body bumping into my shoulder. The force caused me to tip over on the rock, sending me into the pond. My eyes shut tight, my lungs burning as water entered them. I kicked my legs, hoping it would send me to the surface. And for the first time since I was turned, I was worried I would die. I was able to drown in this human state I was in.

I forgot how fragile human beings are.

I felt a warm hand grab onto my arm, pulling me up to what I assumed was the surface. My head was suddenly in air again and I gasped in as much air as my lungs could hold. I soon regretted breathing in so much air when I coughed it up, along with what felt like buckets of water.

During my coughing fit, I felt myself be lifted out of the water and placed softly on the grass. The warm hand gently rubbed my back, both giving me comfort and sending tingles down my spine. Finally, my breathing was back to normal. I lifted my hands, brushing the water out of my face as I opened my eyes.

My gaze was immediately met with an intense and concerned gaze from what I could've sworn were the same deep brown eyes as my wolf. The brown eyes didn't belong to my wolf. No, they belonged to a boy with russet skin and short black hair. His face looked youthful, giving him an innocent look to his face. I averted my gaze from his, noticing that he was only wearing cut-off jean shorts.

I heard a deep chuckle come from the boy as my face heated up. Of course I meet an attractive boy who saves me from drowning like in a cliche romance movie and the one thing I do is blush like a school girl.

"Are you okay?" A deep voice broke my train of thought. I looked back up at the boy's face, slightly distracted by how attractive he was. Great, now I sounded like a love-struck damsel in distress.

"Yeah," I scooted away from him slightly, allowing myself room to stand up. "Yeah, I'm fine." His frame towered over mine, he was easily over 6 feet with a large build, but he still reminded me of the gangly wolf I was with just moments ago. "Thank you, by the way." I cleared my throat, "For saving me."

The boy smiled, the edges of his eyes crinkling slightly. "It's no trouble. I wasn't going to let you drown," He chuckled lightly, causing me to smile softly. He held out his hand to me, "My name's Seth by the way. Seth Clearwater."

I smiled and placed my hand in his, blushing when he lifted it up and placed a light kiss on my knuckles. "Wow, you sure are a charmer arentcha? My name's Annabelle Whitlock, but you can call me Belle." I mentally frowned. Only Jasper called me Belle and was able to get away with it. Why was I letting this stranger call me that?

"It's nice to meet you Belle," his grin was contagious and I found myself smiling brightly back at him. There was something inside me that was telling me-- no, commanding me to trust Seth Clearwater. The feeling I got when he was here made me feel safer and calmer than I have felt years. It scared me and intrigued me at the same time. It scared me because he was a stranger, probably one of those shifters Jasper warned me about, and yet I was completely at ease with this guy.

Why did I feel like this?

"So what are you doing in the middle of the woods?" Seth's voice brought me out of my thoughts, his facial expression showed that he was genuinely curious, something I wasn't expecting. Maybe suspicion, but not genuine curiosity. 

"I like to go for walks when I want to be alone," I shrugged, feeling the need to tell half-truths. "What about you?"

"Same," I nodded, accepting the answer. I wasn't sure if he was lying, but who was I to pry the truth out of him when I myself didn't tell him the truth? "So, do you live around here?" He asked after a moment of silence. I watched in amusement as his face took a pained expression, "I mean, of course you live around here or you wouldn't be this far into the woods if you didn't. Maybe you're lost and I could help you find your way back to your house. But you're probably not lost, you look like someone who can take care of herself. Maybe--"

I laughed at his rambling, effectively cutting him off. "Yes, I live around here. It's a bit of a walk to here from my house, but I don't mind." Another lie. Technically I didn't live anywhere, not until it's for sure that I'm going to live with the Cullens but I don't want to start any drama with Edward. It seems like he has enough drama from his situation with that human he's in love with. I thought and tucked a lock of blonde hair behind my ear. "Do you live around here?"

"No, not really." He shook his head and shrugged. "I live on the reservation, La Push. It's that way," He pointed behind him and scratched the back of his neck. "You should come by sometime, the beach is pretty cool there."

I smiled, "I'll be sure to stop by soon." I watched as a gentle smile graced his lips, feeling my heart flutter in my chest. I wondered if he had some sort of power that caused people to melt at his feet, becoming smitten with the mere sight of him. I mentally shook my head, Seth had done nothing to indicate any actions with wrong intentions. He seemed genuine, and I found myself craving the simple innocence he seemed to radiate. 

"Belle?" The word hadn't come from Seth. No, the voice had a slight southern accent, much like my own. My still beating heart stuttered in its chest. Seth's face had turned from happy and content to confusion and hurt.

"Jasper? What are you doing here?" His question confirmed my suspicion and the fact that I was screwed. Jasper had found me at the pond again. He had found me when I was in a human-like state even though I had said I would keep the pond a secret, and here I was with another person. A person who was no doubt a shifter since he had known Jasper and lived on the reservation.

"Shouldn't you be on patrol?" I heard my brother's voice ask in a strained tone. He was not happy about the current situation. I couldn't bring myself to turn and face him. I just wanted to disappear at that moment.

"I don't have patrol today," Seth frowned, his eyes flickering from me and Jasper. His eyes filled with suspicion and recognition.

Shit. He saw the family resemblance.

"How do you know Belle?" Seth asked.

"She's my sister."