21: Immortality vs Mortality

**EDITED: 5/17/17**

I couldn't sleep. Even if I tried, I only tossed and turned. Finally I had given up, and decided to eat my anticipation, in the form of both food and blood. I figured I needed all the strength I could get if I wanted to use my gift. We all walked to the clearing in the morning, I stayed by Bella, Renesmee and Edward. The wolves were staying in the shadows until the Volturi show up. Knowing Seth was there calmed my nerves slightly, but the anticipation was killing me.

"If we live through this, I'll follow you anywhere woman." I heard Garrett say from behind me.

"Now you tell me," Kate responded. I smiled lightly, keeping my attention back to the foggy clearing. My heart raced when I heard footsteps coming toward us, glad that I had as good as hearing as the vampires.

"The red-coats are coming, the red-coats are coming." Garrett mumbled. I shifted nervously on my feet as I saw the familiar black cloaked-figures approach us. Aro, Caius, Marcus, Jane, Alec, Demetri and Felix led the group. I quickly identified all the wives and other members of the guard with the massive amount of other witnesses.

We were badly outnumbered.

"Aro's looking for Alice." Edward said.

My nerves calmed slightly as I heard the wolves howl. I kept my gaze forward, only looking away when I felt Seth brush against me. I put my hand against him, feeling his soft fur under my touch to try and calm my nerves. I kept my hand on his side and turned my attention back to the approaching Volturi.

The Volturi stopped several feet in front of us. I could feel their gazes sweep across our group, and I swear they lingered on me the longest. I watched as Carlisle stepped forward, ready to start and get this over with.

"Aro, let us discuss things as we used to: as civilized men." He said kindly.

"Kind words, Carlisle. A little out of place given the retaliation you've driven against us." Aro said back, slight malice behind his words.

"I can promise you, it was never my intention. No laws have been broken."

"We see the child," Caius spat. "Do not treat us as fools."

"She is not an immortal!" Carlisle announced loudly. "These witnesses can attest to that." He nodded to the group behind him. "Or you can look." He gestured to Renesmee, who was hiding slightly behind Bella. "See the human flesh behind her cheeks."

"Artifice!" Caius protested. Aro held his hand to silence Caius.

"I will collect every facet of the truth," He said, the tone in his voice told me otherwise. "From someone more central to the story." I locked eyes with Jane, noting how she was examining every part of my body. I crossed my arms and met her glare head on. "Edward, as the child clings to your newborn mate, I assume you are involved." Aro stepped forward, holding out his hand. Edward touched Renesmee's hair, sharing a look with Bella before walking forward, towards Aro and the Volturi.

I watched in anticipation as Aro took Edward's hand, smiling joyfully then turning serious, looking from both Renesmee and I.

"I'd like to meet her," He stated, looking back at Edward. "And to see my former ward." I felt Seth stiffen beside me, growling along with Jacob. I felt Bella grab my hand with her free one, and glanced over at her. She nodded at me, making me feel like a child as she led both Renesmee and I to Aro. I heard Jacob and Seth following, stopping when Bella turned to look back. I frowned, seeing Rosalie's look of despair as Emmett came and joined us. He put his hand on my shoulder as we continued to walk forward. I stood next to Renesmee as we came to a stop in front of Aro. His eyes swept over us, landing on Bella.