18: Gather the Troops

**EDITED: 5/16/17**

Edward stepped out of the car and I gently woke up Renesmee. Renesmee blinked and rubbed her eyes, taking in her new surrounding. Bella turned from watching Edward to face us.

"Okay, time to meet some new people." She smiled gently at her daughter.

"What if they don't like me?" Renesmee asked.

"They'll love you." Jacob said instantly.

"They will, once they understand you." Bella agreed.

"They just haven't met anyone like you before," Jacob said.

"What about Auntie Belle? She's like me."

"I wasn't always like you, darlin'." I smiled and pushed some of her hair out of her face. "Besides, you're special."

"Okay," Bella said. She turned and left the car. I followed Jacob and Renesmee out, keeping in front of Ness. Bella nodded at me when she took Nessie's hand and I moved out of the way. I frowned when the Denali's gasped and stepped away from us. I put my hand on Nessie's shoulder when she looked up at us in confusion.

"Get that thing away from us," Tanya hissed, stepping in front of her sister protectively.

"She's not what she looks like," Edward shook his head.

"This is a crime!" She yelled and pushed Edward away. Edward pushed Tanya to the side easily, causing Kate to defend her sister. I stepped forward when Kate shocked Edward with her power, ready to help him. I stopped when Bella went ahead, running to Edward's aid. She threw Kate off Edward easily, making me frown when she didn't get shocked as well.

"Stay back!" Bella warned when Kate and Tanya got back up.

"She has blood in her veins, you can hear her heart." Edward said. I glanced down when Renesmee put her hand in mine while she leaned against Jacob. I shifted on my feet when the Denali's all looked over to us.

"That's the Volturi girl," Tanya said frowning. "What is she doing here?" She spat. I glared at her, my grip on Nessie's hand tightened slightly.

"She's part of our family now," Edward said. "She's like our child." They all looked at Edward in shock. "They're both the same."

"I can feel it," Carmen said.

"I'm the child's biological father and Bella's her mother."

"Impossible," Kate shook her head, her straight blonde hair blowing in the wind.

"It's true, she was born while I was still human." Bella said.

"I've never heard such a thing," Eleazar said.

"She can show you if you let her." Edward said, "Both of them can." They all looked back at us and Jacob and I shared a look before Jacob picked Renesmee up and we walked over to them.

"Tanya, you owe us this much. We're all under a death sentence because your sister didn't let us explain."

"The Volturi girl can't stop them?" Tanya asked.

"Like I said, she's part of our family now. She left the Volturi." Tanya nodded, eyeing us warily as we approached them. Renesmee held out her hand towards Tanya's face, pausing when she saw the woman's hesitation.

"Don't be afraid," I said gently. "It's how she communicates." Tanya's golden orbs locked with mine, and I smiled slightly at her audible gasp when she saw my now green eyes. She nodded and turned her gaze back to Renesmee. We all watched as Tanya allowed Nessie to show her the truth. Tanya turned to her family when Nessie pulled her hand away.