Chapter Twenty Three

Hello sugar bears! I won't keep you.....here is your update!<3
————————————

I finished shredding all of the paperwork and the guys still weren't back. I pushed myself up off the ground and stretched my stiff limbs. I walked around the now empty building. It was even bigger now without all the clutter and bulky furniture, there wasn't anything left. I started looking for cleaning supplies and luckily enough there was a cabinet with windex, pine sol, Lysol, swiffer dusting stuff and a few others and some rags, broom, a mop and a mop bucket.

I grabbed the windex and a few rags and started to clean all the windows until they were spotless. I grabbed the broom and swept until there wasn't any dirt left on the floor. I grabbed the mop bucket and poured the Lysol floor cleaner and poured some into the bucket. I turned the hot water on and waited for it to heat up and then put the bucket under the faucet to fill up.

I grabbed the brand new mop and put it inside the now filled bucket and turned the water off. I turned up the music on my phone and started to mop the whole building while humming and singing along, I was in my zone. I loved cleaning, it's a stress reliever plus who doesn't like stuff clean anyway?

"Wow Barbie this place looks incredible!" Dakota gushed, his voice echoing off the empty walls. I turned my attention towards him as I moped the last section and leaned the mop against the wall.

"Oh you guys did all the hard work. I just did the cleaning. Speaking of where are the guys?" I asked once I realized I didn't see them come in with him.

"I dropped them off on my way back since there wasn't much for them to do. I'll catch up with them later." He sat down on the now clean and dry floor and I sat a few feet away and stretched my feet out in front of me.

"It's so different in here without all the furniture. What's your next plan for this place?" I asked as I glanced around and tried to envision this place as an automotive shop like he plans on it being and now that it's empty it's easy to picture it.

"Now the remodeling starts. I'm going to knock the walls out and make it a big open room except for a few of the offices and the upstairs apartment. I'll have to hire people to cut out and install the garage bay doors. Then I'm going to paint it and refurnish it with automotive stuff." He shrugged but had a smile on his face.

"How long do you think all of that will take?" I asked curiously it sounded like one hell of a project but so did cleaning it and we managed to get that done in one day.

"Probably three-four months give or take. It just depends on how long the renovations take. I've already hired a company they are coming next week to start."

"What is your dad going to think of all of this?" I asked with my tone low treading lightly on this touchy subject.

"He knows I bought the building with my trust fund but since I'm eighteen there isn't anything legally that he can do. He is still hoping that I'll change my mind and decide to take over the company for him." He sighed with a slight frown making its way onto his face.

"Isn't that what Steve was supposed to be doing?" I asked curiously, the mention of that assholes name still made my stomach turn especially coming out of my own mouth.

"Not exactly. If I were to take over for my dad, Steve would work along side me as a partner. I would have more of a say so since it's a family company and I would be the boss technically but he would be my partner." He explained and I just nodded.

"Can I ask you something personal now?" He asked and I already knew where this was going.

"It would only be fair." I shrugged and tried to prepare myself for the question he was going to ask.

"What's the deal with you and your stepdad?" He asked, his voice curious but his body language calm.

"What do you mean?" I asked not exactly sure what he was asking.

"You never talk about him." At first I wanted to tell him. I felt the need to but how could I? Would he believe me? What if he didn't?

"I know." I whispered and let out a lot sigh.

"Why is that?" He asked curiously as he looked at me trying to read my face.

"Because he and I just don't get along that's all." I shrugged and turned my head away from his questioning gaze.

"How come?" He asked again and I felt my whole body tense. What the hell do I say?

"Just a stepdad trying to play the father role when he is nowhere near a father figure." I looked down at the ground and then up and around the room, pretty much looking anywhere but at him.

"I know there's more to it than that but I'm not going to push you into telling me." My pulse was racing, he knew there was more to it than I was leading on but I was more than thankful he didn't push for more than I told him.

"Thank you." I looked up at him for the first time in minutes and his eyes trailed over my face searching for reassurance.

"It's getting late we should go." I suggested and pushed my weight into my wrists and got off of the floor.

"Right, okay." He nodded and followed me out the door. The car ride to the school to pick up my car was quiet.

"I'm sorry if me asking you about your stepdad upset you." Dakota let out a tired sigh as he glanced at me, exhaustion written all over his face.

"You didn't upset me." I turned my attention towards him.

"You've been kind of off since I mentioned him."

"I know but it's not against you. Steve and I just don't have a relationship. Maybe I'll tell you more about him as the time goes but for now just take what I gave you." I begged and he sighed once more and suddenly the air in the car became more breathable.

"Deal." He stuck his hand out for me to shake but kept his eyes on the road. I grabbed his hand and shook it before he worked his hand up and laced his fingers with mine. His warm hand in mine was enough to make my heart race and calm me all at once.

He pulled into the school parking lot and then parked beside my car.

"I'll see you tomorrow Barbie." He shot me a dazzling smile showing off his perfectly white straight teeth.

"Bye Dakota." I offered him a soft smile and got out of his car and made my way to my own. The drive home was exactly what I needed. I cleared my mind. I was so close to telling him the truth, I admit I wanted to tell him but I don't want him to pity me. The abuse is something I've grown to accept but it was in the past. I've moved on. He is so honest with me I feel like I'm holding the truth back when I should just tell him but I didn't want it to change anything. One thing I knew for sure is that I had to figure out what to say when that time comes, if it ever does.