Chapter Thirty Nine

Dunn dunnn dunnn! ;)
————————————

I swiped my finger across the screen and opened the text message.

'Don't think you're going to get away with stealing my job, I know it was you. It always is. You'll pay for this bitch.' My heart started to race violently in my chest and I felt my body start to shake. He knew. I don't know how or why but somehow he found out.

"Erika? Erika!" Chelsea put her hands on each of my shoulders and started to shake me gently bringing me back to reality. The locker room had mostly cleared out except for a few of us.

"What's wrong?" She asked, her voice full of concern so I turned the phone around to show her and she gasped releasing her hand on me. I felt tears well up inside my eyes threatening to fall at any moment. I thought all of this was behind me, but apparently not. There is no way he is going to let me just get away with this. He would find me and when he does it's going to be bad, worse then any other time before. I slammed my locker shut trying to stop the tears from falling but they betrayed me and fell anyway.

"Oh my God, he told you didn't he?" Maria asked softly but didn't try to hide the spiteful look in her eyes.

"What?" I asked slowly, not understanding what she was asking. She never talks to me, why now? When I'm clearly upset already.

"Dakota, he told you. Didn't he?" She asks again this time I at least get the who she was asking about but still just as confused.

"Told me what?" I asked again, my heart picked up speed when she mentioned Dakotas name but nothing was making sense.

"The bet, of course. What else?"

"What bet?" I asked knitting my eyebrows together even more confused now than I was before.

"Ooooops, maybe not but you'll have to talk to him about that." She smirks and grabs her bag and throws it over her back and slammed her locker shut before she left the lockerroom.

I slam my locker shut and follow her hot on her heels pleading her with questions but not once did she give me an answer.

I shoved my phone into my bra and walked out to the parking lot spotting Dakota and all of his friends circled around their cars talking. Dakota who's eyes lit up whenever he noticed I was coming but the smile from his face faded fast whenever he saw my reaction.

"Erika whats wrong?" He asked, his voice full of concern as he stepped towards me but I stepped back and he frowned at my movements.

"What bet is Maria talking about?" I asked wiping a few tears that had fallen from the corner of my eyes. He froze in his tracks and all the color from his face drained. His eyes snapped to her and she just shrugged and smiled mischievously, clearly enjoying this.

"Let me explain, come on let's go talk somewhere private." He begs quietly and I shook my head vigorously. People had started to gather around us in a big circle to see what was going on.

"No you can tell me right here. Right now. What bet is she talking about?" I asked again this time much calmer now, too calm.

"Fine but please keep in mind that this happened before we got together." His eyes burned into mine begging me to understand and I knew deep down that I was not going to like where this was going. The look on his face let me know that this was bad.

"Two months ago, during the first day orientation pep rally I made a bet with Christian that I could get you to sleep with me by homecoming...." He blurts out straight to the point and all the air escaped my lungs. I felt my heart accelerate inside of my chest.