Chapter Nine: The Danger in His Eyes

Dedicated to:
hettihyuck

~*~*~*~*~

The incident was sudden. No one ever expected it would end up this way.

In the quiet hallway that led to the chief's main office, the only sound that could be heard was a succession of footsteps that grew louder as it grew closer towards a girl. She seemed to be staring at the oblivion as the person, Yangyang, approached her.

"Hina." He mumbled once he was within the range for her to notice his presence, looking solemnly at her state.

Leaning against the wall, with arms wrapped around herself, Hina slightly moved her head to look at Yangyang. "Yangyang..."

Earlier, Lucas and the other men had finished searching inside the bar for the wanted criminals, but unfortunately, they didn't find at least one of them. They did find Chief Jung inside, who told them that the X-Force had already escaped, Lucas hurriedly ordered some of the men to stay with the chief while the rest followed him.

It was that moment— the moment when Lucas and the others received information about the X-Force running towards the river, the moment when they headed towards the same direction, the moment when he saw Koeun being carried towards their van— that made him horrified. Horrified by the fact that one of his teammates, his partner, and the person he about the most was being taken away by the one who shot her before.

As Yangyang walked closer and closer to Hina, he could see the gloom in her eyes becoming more and more visible. It caused him to feel the same.

The news about Koeun broke them.

Coming to a stop, he asked softly, being careful of not trying to make her feel worse. "How are you?"

"I..." The question's purpose was to ask how Hina was, but instead of making her feel alright, it only caused a small pang inside her chest. "I'm okay..." She said before adding. "I guess."

Yangyang became silent after that, holding his tongue back. He knew the question only just reminded her of how devastated she was when she heard the news.

She was Koeun's bestfriend after all.

After a short moment of silence, Yangyang decided to speak again. "How's Lucas?"

But among everyone in their team, Lucas was the one who didn't take it too well.

Hina was about to answer him when they were interrupted by loud yells coming from inside the chief's office.

"What was that?" Yangyang asked, giving the door a look.

"That was Lucas." Hina finally replied as the yells continued.

Inside the office was becoming a mess. Lucas was furious as he yellled at the chief, which was something an agent with a lower rank shouldn't be doing.

"I told you I can handle it! Just allow me!" An enraged Lucas slammed a fist on the chief's desk.

"Handle it? Look where it got you!" Chief Jung told him at he sat on his chair, not even flinching at the slam. "You lost a member of your team!"

"That's why I want to bring her back as soon as possible!" Lucas shot back at his face.

"And also let you become their hostage? I won't make irrational decisions, Lucas."

Frustrated, Lucas removed his hand from the table and turned away. Taeyong, who was standing by the door, only watched the two, not bothering to get involved in their conversation. It wasn't his place to do so.