Chapter Thirty-six: The Chief's Motives

Dedicated to:
honestlynct KpopTrash127U
strawverymilktae AlyanaHo5
ForeignSwagger

~*~*~*~*~

"Agent Koeun." His cold voice caused Koeun to slightly shudder as her eyes met with the chief's.

Chief Jung was sitting on his chair, behind his polished, wooden table, leaning back. His hand was resting on the table, his fingers softly drumming against it. The atmosphere in the room was warm, almost welcoming, but she knew she couldn't be fooled by it.

Seeing the chief now was different. She already had this criminal impression towards him, which couldn't be changed.

"Please, take a seat." The chief gestured at the chair in front of him.

Taeyong, who already had the door closed, slightly pushed the girl towards the chair. Koeun didn't bother flinching since he was already a little aggressive earlier by pressing his gun against her side during the ride.

Koeun gave him a glare before following Chief Jung's order. As soon as she settled on it, the chief remained his look on her, as if to observe her state for a while, before he began to speak. "I am quite pleased that you have returned to our headquarters." He started off. "Your team had been hoping for this miracle to happen."

"Miracle?" Koeun pointed out, a little confused.

"We found it difficult to expect for your return, to be frank, especially me." Was his blunt reply. "I never thought about the X-Force setting you free that easy."

Koeun's breath slightly hitched at this.

"Tell me, how did you escape them now?" The chief asked her as he continued to drum his fingers against the table. "You've been held captive for days and no one was successful in retrieving you during the ambush. Now, you suddenly appeared in the streets, helping citizens in need, away from the X-Force's radar. Surely, it would look quite..." The chief paused to think of an appropriate word to use. "...suspicious, don't you think?"

He was referring to her, but Koeun stayed silent. If she said anything, or even lie for a bit, it would blow her cover.

She couldn't let him know that she knows.

"Unless you've done them a favor."

Hearing this, Koeun tried her best not to give in and, instead, clenched her jaw. Unknowingly, her hands had also gripped the chair's arm rest, her long nails into it.

It seemed like the chief knows something.

"From what I've heard, the X-Force had accomplished another mission last night." Chief Jung continued to speak, stopping his fingers from drumming and leaned forward. "Apparently, they were exposed during the whole trouble but they still got away with it. As far as I know, they were successful." He told her, acting clueless. "I wonder why."

Koeun had looked away by this time, refusing to make an eye contact with this traitor in front of her.

She remembered the text message he had sent Johnny during that night. She knew the chief must have a hint by now.

"Oh, that's right!" Her eyes drifted back to the chief when he suddenly exclaimed and snapped his fingers, as if he had realized something. "Someone else had helped them with it. A girl, rather."