Chapter Twenty-nine: Losing Focus

Dedicated to:
smilinguwus

~*~*~*~*~

One.

Koeun took a step forward, her heel seemed to echo against the cold floor. Her surroundings began to move in slow motion.

Two.

Another step closer to the target. She couldn't help but to hitch her breath as she felt herself getting anxious.

Three.

Will this turn out well? She thought. Will I do this right? She used to think it would be easy while Renjun comforted her awhile ago through the earpiece, but turns out, it was just her expectations.

Mark was right.

Four.

Nearing the target, she let herself trip over the foot of a passing waiter, shutting her eyes as she braced herself for the impact it would cause if she failed to calculate it.

"I know you still think that you're not ready, but the truth is, you won't know it."

Five.

Fortunately, she didn't fall towards the floor, but was rather caught by a pair of muscular arms.

"When will I know?"

Opening her eyes, the first thing she saw was the person's chest covered with white long sleeves underneath his black suit. Travelling her eyes upwards, she realized she had done it right.

"When you're already executing the mission."

Her eyes met with Johnny Seo's concerned ones.

Bingo, was Koeun's thought.

"Are you alright, miss?" Johnny asked her.

Snapping out of her trance, she began her act by removing herself from the guy, apologizing. "I'm so sorry! I'm really, really sorry!" She fixed the hair that was dangling to her face.

Johnny quickly shook his head. "It's alright. I know it was just an accident." He said. "Are you alright, though? You weren't hurt, were you?"

Koeun slightly pressed her lips, shaking her head. "No, I'm fine. Thank you for catching me." She gave him a smile.

Johnny smiled back. In Koeun's mind, she couldn't believe this is happening. She, an agent, partakes a role in her enemy's mission? It still sounds absurd for her. "Since we've already talked for a minute, it would be disrespectful for me not to introduce myself. I'm Johnny, by the way." He extended a hand for her to take.

Koeun wanted to leave him hanging but she knows it would only displease him. As much as she could, she needs to earn him. She lifted her hand to hold his, expecting for a handshake like a normal agent would, but to her surprise, Johnny brought it to his lips.

She almost forgot she needs to act as highly as these people are.

"The name is Naeun." At this time, Johnny had let her settle her hand down.

"Well, Naeun," Johnny started off. "can I offer you a drink?" He gestured towards the bar. He received a nod of approval from her before he guided her towards the bar.