nine.

"if they stand behind you, protect them. if they stand beside you, respect them. if they stand against you, destroy them."

"I'm fucking with you, Richie. Don't take it to heart." Logan laughed again, before hearing muffled screaming down by what she knew to be the river.

"Guys, whose bike is that?" Guinevere looked over to the bike next to what she already knew to be Belch's car. She'd been in the car many times, each one more unenjoyable than the last. She was often forced to ride with her brother, boyfriend, and their friends to school.

"I think that's the one homeschool kid's bike." Logan responded as she put her skates in her bag. They weighed it down, but at least they wouldn't be in the way.

"Yeah, that's Mike's."

Logan walked quickly down the hill and through the wet, dewy grass on barefoot. Her socks were soaked, but there was someone in trouble and she didn't think she could live with herself if she let something happen to whoever it was.

"What the hell are you waiting for?" She yelled back at them, throwing her arms in the air before running toward the screaming. Beverly dropped her bike first, then Bill, and then everyone else (Stanley put his bike stand up, as always).

The losers halted themselves at the edge of the water when they saw Henry Bowers straddling the boy that Logan had only ever heard about.

They were all trying to think of something to do so that they wouldn't get their asses kicked, but they all just stood there, staring at Mike and Henry, the older boy still straddling Mike. Until a large rock flew forward, hitting Henry's forehead so hard that Logan could swear she heard the hollow echo of his empty head.

"Nice throw."

"Thanks." The losers each picked up rocks, getting ready to attack all three of the boys with them as Henry stood up, smirking at Logan and Beverly before making direct eye contact with his sister.

With Henry's attention now off of him, Mike ran quickly over to the other kids, fumbling with his steps. He pulled himself over behind his new allies, laying back and trying not to hurt himself any more as he watched the scene unfold in front of him.

"You better make your way over here, sis." He nodded at Guinevere and stepped foreward. If he stepped a foot closer to her friends, Logan was sure it wouldn't end well for him. "It's what ol' Pat would've wanted, right? You know what happened if you ever disobeyed him."

Guinevere looked at the ground and frowned, kicking the grass with her dirty black converse shoe. Henry was her brother and she loved him, but him mentioning Patrick in front of her friends made her upset.

Richie noticed this and rested his hand on her shoulder. He knew, from the countless times she had cried to him about it, that she and Patrick didn't have a good relationship and that Henry, though he was horrible, would always be loved by her.

She looked over at him as he nodded and smiled slightly before turning her head back to her brother. "Sorry, Henry. I love you, but you can't keep doing this."

"What about Patrick?" He kept pushing her, an evil smirk still visible on his face as he pretended to pout. "He loved you and all you did was betray him numerous times."

"Hey, dickhead." Logan chimed in, pushing her bag slowly off her back and into the grass. She may have just joined the losers, but they were her first friends, and God forbid anyone who messed with her friends. "You don't know what the hell you're talking about."

"She's right, mind your business." Richie nodded and took his hand off of Guinevere's shoulder. He gave her a comforting pat on the back before putting his hand back on the rock in his other hand.