3: Misunderstood

I remembered a dream I had when I went to sleep. I was in an empty room. The whole room was a light gray. I heard a voice behind me, a familiar one.

"I've been expecting you." The voice said calmly.

It was Isaac's voice. I turned around and saw him standing in front of me. He looked like a human being. I was told by my father that Entities didn't have a solid form, but they take the form of another species they see. He had black hair, navy blue eyes, and he wore a suit and tie. I thought to myself.

I guess I see him as human. That must be why Isaac looks like this.

"I can still hear your thoughts, you know." Isaac said, rolling his eyes.

"Sassy much?" I said, glaring at him.

"Right now, you're asleep. This is what you'll always see every time you go to sleep. We get to chat face to face until you wake up." He said, casually. His deep voice echoed throughout the room.

"What is this room?" I asked, conveying genuine curiosity in my voice.

"Let's call this room the confines of your mind. I'm here all the time, observing everything from your eyes." Isaac smiled. He seemed amused by my curiosity.

"Well, since you know everything about me, tell me about yourself. Why did you choose me?" I demanded.

Isaac starts laughing, "Trying to get answers, are you? Well, I won't start talking that easily. Like you said to me before, 'don't expect everything to go your way so easily.' I won't let you get away with hypocrisy." He walked up to me and looked down at me. I looked back up at him with an angry expression. I pushed him back.

"I didn't ask for this! Just get out of my head!" I yelled.

"You're a half-breed! Don't you understand at least a little bit of Entities' needs!? I thought if anyone would understand me it would be you since you read the note!" He yelled back. His voice had a growl that grew louder as he went on.

Isaac took a second to realize that he had said more than he wanted to tell me. He looked down.

"I-Isaac, I-"

"You'll understand soon enough...it takes time for humans to get it through their thick skulls." He interrupted me.

I looked away from his eyes as a feeling over drowsiness suddenly took over me. My vision started to distort and fade to black. The next time I opened my eyes, I found myself laying in the bed that I had fallen asleep in. I slowly sat up and stretched. I got out of bed then headed towards the kitchen.

I ran into Serena on the way there. She greeted me with a simple smile.

"I was just about to wake you up. Good timing! Dinner is ready if you're hungry." She said cheerfully.

Serena's always a ray of sunshine. She can put a smile on anyone's face. I think I'm very lucky to be her friend. I thought and smiled.

I felt grateful to have a friend like Serena. Her voice was pleasant to hear and no one could stay mad at her, no matter how hard they tried. It was also very difficult to anger her. Something really horrible would have to happen for her to get genuinely angry.

If you were to see us next to each other you'd see that we were polar opposites. She dressed in soft, light colors like pastel yellow, green, purple, and blue. Me, on the other hand, would wear bolder colors such as navy blue, dark red, violet, and mostly black. Her hair was a strawberry blonde, while mine was a dark purple that blended in with my black hair. Serena's eyes were an emerald green and mine were a dark brown. She was bright and colorful. I was edgy and boring.

Moving on, Serena and I went to the dining room table and sat down. Our food was already served. We ate our food, savoring every flavorful, delicious bite. The chef at Serena's house was a master at cooking. After we finished our meals, we went outside to the balcony.

The balcony allowed us to have a perfect view of the bridge. I rested my arms on the railing of the balcony, while Serena's hands were pinching the end of her pastel blue shirt. We looked at the bridge for a few moments before Serena broke the silence.

"Did anything happen before you came back here? You were in the city for multiple weeks. I was getting worried." Serena's voice was trembling a little. She always wore her emotions on her sleeve. She never bothered to hide what she felt.

"The police saw me and I ran across the bridge to get away from them. After I spent some time on The Other Side, I went back to the city and stayed there for awhile. Then, I came back here." I explained to reassure her that there was nothing to worry about.

"What if the cops find you again and what if they catch you? I don't want them to do something horrible to you to get information out of you." Serena said and looked at me with a worried expression.

I looked at her and smiled. "They won't catch me. I'll make sure of that."

Serena's worried expression turned into a warm smile and she looked back at the bridge.

"I know, and even if they did, I would rescue you somehow." She said in a soft voice.

I nodded and looked at the bridge as well. I noticed that Isaac was silent for awhile, so I thought of something.

Hey, Isaac? Are you still here?

"Yes, what do you want?" He demanded.

Nothing, I was just checking something. Are you ok?

"Yeah, sorry for yelling at you." Isaac said in a deep, quiet voice.

It's ok, I yelled at you first. I'm sorry.

"Thanks, Finley." His voice sounded sincere. I smiled a little.

I think I may be willing to understand you. Are you willing to understand me?

"Yes, since I'm curious." He giggled.

Of course, I wasn't counting on Isaac's willingness to be truthful. I also knew that he thought my willingness was untruthful. We both knew that it would take time to trust each other. A lot of time.