4: Isolation

As I looked at the bridge, Serena turned to me. She had a serious, or rather, a determined look on her face.

"I've been thinking about going back to the city." She said, looking at me, as if she stared into my soul. She really wasn't joking.

"Serena, are you sure? What about that girl-" I said in a worried voice.

"That girl doesn't matter anymore. I cut her out of my life. I've been locked up in this house long enough!" She declared, stomping into the house. I followed her.

When Serena was 16, she was allowed to go into the city whenever she wanted. While she was in the city one day, she met a female half breed named Marilyn. Marilyn's power was similar to Serena's, except not as bright and powerful. After they spent a few months getting to know each other, they developed feelings for each other. They then decided to be in a relationship after another month passed. Their relationship was nice, at first. After Serena was with Marilyn for awhile, she would come home and run into her room, crying because of the things Marilyn said to her. Then, their relationship completely unraveled when Serena came home with cuts and bruises.

I was also sixteen at this moment in time, living with Serena and her family. When I realized that Marilyn was abusing Serena, I was extremely worried for Serena's safety. I was angry at myself for letting this abusive relationship go on, but most of my anger was directed at Marilyn. I wanted to do something about it so badly that I decided to pay Marilyn a visit.

The moment Marilyn answered the door, I immediately sensed that something was horribly wrong. I felt heavy, almost crushed. Her power was different from before. It was losing its color and it grew dull. I told her to leave Serena alone, even though I knew she wouldn't listen to me and I was right.

A few weeks after I confronted Marilyn, Serena decided to tell her parents about the relationship. They told her to break up with Marilyn. Serena had mixed feelings about breaking up with her. She didn't want to hurt Marilyn after all.

However, Serena realized that Marilyn took advantage of her good nature and decided to break up with her after she mentally prepared herself and didn't go out of the house for a month. Serena brought me with her so that if anything went wrong, I would be there to help. She had me watch from afar, but I was close enough to hear what they said. The moment Serena said the words, "I'm breaking up with you," Marilyn yelled at Serena, threatening to kill her whole family, then kill herself. She then slammed the door and we never heard from Marilyn again. Serena ran to me, hugging me as she cried. We went home and explained what happened to Serena's parents. In order to protect Serena, they didn't allow her to go out of the house for two years.

Serena didn't mind it at the time, but now that she was eighteen and moved on from her ex, she was ready to go back to the city. I followed her to the dining room, where her parents were.

"Mom, dad, I need to talk to you." She said as she sat down. I sat down next to her.

"What is it, dear?" Her mother asked in a soft spoken voice.

"I think it's about time I'm allowed out of the house."

"Well, you are eighteen now and you have become very experienced with your power. I think it's ok for you to go." Her father said with a smile. Her mother nodded in agreement.

"Just be more careful about who you talk to." Her mother said. Serena's face brightened up.

"Of course! Thank you so much!" Serena yelled happily as she stood up, hugged her parents, then ran into her room to get ready. I giggled.

"Finley, you should go with her." The father said.

"Oh, ok." I nodded, then stood up. I walked into my room, sat down on my bed and observed the ring Serena gave me. A thought entered my head.

Why do bad things happen to nice people? Why does it take so long for good things to happen to nice people?

"You know, Finley, bad people get their karma. Even though it may take awhile for the karma to set in, it's inevitable, no matter what." Isaac's voice echoed in my head once again. His voice was clear and calm.

"She probably wants to go into the city by herself, but she's the type of person to have company with her on an adventure." I said, still looking at the ring.

"Well, she is a funny half breed. She feeds off of positive energy." Isaac laughed.

"Energy?" I asked, thinking that Isaac had gone crazy.

"Ok, I'll explain it to you. Energy is our power source. Entities feed off of certain emotions that people feel. Emotions equal energy. For example, I feed off of the feeling of being in control and feeling superior. Supreme leaders that were overtaken by the feeling of power are the best source for that energy. However, if the host doesn't feel a certain emotion anymore, the Entity kills the host and looks for a new one, or if they're powerful enough, they fight their way up to the top and rule over the Other Side." Isaac sounded bored, like he had to explain that a thousand times.

"D-Does that mean you're going to kill me?" I asked in a trembling voice. I was worried because I wasn't a supreme leader and I didn't feel superior in the slightest.

"No, you're a different case altogether. Your power is the best energy source I can get. Your power has the energy worth at least one hundred corrupted supreme leaders. It's all thanks to your father. He was the last Entity to rule over the Other Side. It's a shame he was executed." Isaac said as he laughed.

"You were there. You, along with many others, watched him die. Why is that funny?" I asked angrily. I clenched my fists.

"Calm down. I admired your father. He was respected until we all found out he was married to a human. We talked to each other before his execution. He said 'One day, everyone will open their eyes and see the truth.' You were there for his execution. They forced you to watch. I saw you. The look on your face even made me feel a bit of sadness. It was cruel, even for me." He said as his tone of voice became somber when he mentioned the fact that I was forced to watch my father die.

"Stop...I don't want to think or talk about this right now." I said, choking up. I felt tears in my eyes and quickly wiped them away with my hands.

"Oh, am I getting to you?" He said teasingly. He started laughing again. I knew that I couldn't let him win.

"Whatever, I knew you weren't telling the truth when you said you'd try to understand me out of curiosity." I said in a nonchalant tone.

"Yeah, you think you know a lot of things, don't you?" Isaac said, trying to hide his frustration, but I could tell by the growl in his voice. I smiled.

"Not at all, Isaac."