19: Thin ice

I could tell Isaac knew exactly what would happen. His eyes showed worry and anger. I realized how scared I was when I noticed my shaking hands.

This is a nightmare!

Isaac looked at me, "We have to warn everyone. Right now."

I nodded in agreement and went straight to Serena's room. I knocked on the door multiple times.

When she opened it, I hugged her and said, "Serena, you need to stay in your room with the door and windows locked. I'm going to put this house on lockdown. There's a stalker after us and I don't know when he'll be here."

Her eyes widened, "What? Someone knows where we live? This is bad! How could they have known?"

Isaac put his hand on Serena's shoulder and calmly said, "He won't come here first. I think he's targeting someone else right now."

"H-How can you be so sure?" She looked very worried and her voice was unsteady.

"I know how he works. He likes to make a fool of others by manipulating them. He finds it fun to trick people. It would be no surprise if he tricks us." He replied in an annoyed tone.

Serena sighed, "Ok, if you say so..."

I grabbed my phone and called Connor to warn him. Luckily, he answered and I sighed in relief.

"Hello?" He said.

"Connor, remember the Entity that possessed you? He's targeting someone, but I don't know who. Make sure you watch your back and stay safe, alright?" I explained with urgency in my voice.

Connor was surprised, "Of course I'll stay safe, but why is he targeting someone?"

I sighed, "I...It's my fault. I made him mad and now he's going to punish me by hurting someone I know. I'm sorry, Connor. I didn't want you to be involved in this, but he knows my every move somehow. He's dangerous, so please be careful."

"It's his fault for being mad. I know you don't want anyone to get hurt. I'll be careful, so don't worry. I'll talk to you later."

"Thank you, Connor. Bye." I hung up the phone and paced back and forth in the living room without realizing it.

Isaac stopped me, "Hey, calm down. Don't give my brother what he wants."

I looked up at Isaac, "What do you mean?"

"Arthur wants you to be scared of him. He wants you to be bothered by his threats. Don't give him that satisfaction, Finley." He was serious.

I looked down, ready to cry. I felt like a toy being played with.

"B-But...Arthur is always one step ahead of me. He knows where I am, who I talk to and strikes every one of my nerves like it's nothing...it's like he's using me for some stupid game!"

I just want this to be over...please...

Tears ran down my face. My tough act finally shattered after desperately trying to keep it together. I just couldn't keep up anymore...

Isaac held my chin up, making me look him in the eyes, "Look at me, you can't let him get to your head. We've made it this far, we can't give up now. You're stronger than this. I know you are, Finley." He said as he wiped my tears away.

My eyes widened and I felt my cheeks turn red. I couldn't help but feel embarrassed. I cried in front of my friends after all.

I sighed and smiled as I gave Isaac a hug, "Yeah, you're right. Thank you, Isaac..."

He smiled, "I had to make you realize somehow right?"

I nodded, "Yeah. Ok, I'm going to put this house on lockdown. Can you guys make sure all the windows are locked?"

Isaac and Serena nodded and checked on the windows right away. I made sure all of the doors were locked and pulled the lockdown switch. Every window was covered with camouflage material, making the house invisible to anything on the outside.

After we put the house on lockdown, we all sat down at the dining table. We ate ramen and drank tea to calm ourselves down. I remember how delicious that meal was. Maybe it tasted better because I was stressed.

After I ate, I asked, "Do you think Arthur is targeting one of the other Entities?"

"Why would he do that? Aren't they on the same side?" Serena asked while pouring herself a cup of tea.

Isaac stared at his cup of tea, "Well, they don't like him either...so no. I'm not sure if Arthur knows that though."

I looked down at my empty bowl, troubled.

If he did know, what would he do? Would he kill them? Is he allowed to do that? What if he does know? Does that mean he'll target one of them? But what would be the point-?

"Finley," Isaac said suddenly, "Stop thinking for a minute. You're overworking yourself and you're overwhelming me."

I nodded, "Yeah, sorry. Sometimes I forget you can hear me."

"It's fine, just give your brain a break. Anyway, to answer one of your questions, no, he's not allowed to kill them, but he is allowed to hurt them." Isaac clarified.

Serena tilted her head, "When you say 'hurt' do you mean he'll hurt them physically, mentally, or do you mean he'll hurt their reputation?"

He looked at Serena, "Arthur will hurt them in any way possible, knowing him."

"Wow, this guy sounds like a pain! No wonder everyone hates him." She sighed.

My eyes narrowed, "Why?" I asked quietly.

Both Isaac and Serena looked at me with confused looks.

"Why is Arthur like this? Has he always been this way? Did something happen to make him a bad person? Something had to happen right? All of the Entities I have met aren't evil at all. So why is he like that?" I asked with a frown.

Isaac fell silent and looked away.

I looked at him, "You know something, don't you? Tell me, please."

Isaac had a mournful, yet angry look on his face.

"They broke his mind...