15: Control

I got out of bed and changed my clothes. I brushed my teeth and my hair, then I left my room. I went to the dining room and ate a snack, while Serena entered the dining room.

She wore a pastel blue sweater, a white t-shirt and pastel pink shorts. She sat across from me with a plate of pancakes in front of her.

She grinned, "Good morning! Did you sleep well?"

I nodded, "Yeah, more or less. You seem more cheerful than usual this morning."

"Well, I thought I'd give the city another chance and go shopping." She said as she poured syrup on the pancakes.

I smiled, "Seems fun. Just don't walk into alleyways and stay in populated areas."

Serena looked at me with a confused expression, "Oh, you make it sound like you're not going with me. I think we should go shopping together! You seem down in the dumps lately, so I thought I'd take you to a mall or something to have fun!"

That would be really nice. I really wish I could.

I looked down with a sad smile, "I would love to, but I can't. I'm expecting a phone call. I'm sorry, Serena."

Serena's smile turned into a frown, "Oh, what's going on?"

I sighed, "Well, about that...I can't-"

She interrupted me, "What? You can't tell me? Or is it that you don't want to? I understand that you don't want me to worry about you, but the truth is that I'm more worried about you then ever because you won't tell me what's going on with you! Why can't you tell me? Don't you trust me?"

My eyes widened, "Of course I trust you!"

She stood up and shouted, "Then tell me!"

"I can't!" I yelled with a trembling voice.

"Fine, then when you can, tell me the whole truth without half-assed bullshit excuses!" Serena shouted as she glared at me. She went to her room and slammed the door behind her.

I cleaned the table and put the dishes in the sink. I walk into my room and close the door. Tears formed in my eyes.

Am I a bad friend? What am I saying? I'm a horrible friend! Why didn't I just tell her?

Isaac sighed, "Finley, that's nonsense. You're not a bad friend. You were right to not tell her because you want to protect her, right? She doesn't know the whole story. That's why she's mad."

I wiped my tears away and sighed, "Yeah, you're right...I will tell her later, when all of this is over. Right now, I have to go to The Other Side."

I put my shoes on and walked out of the house without saying a word. I was determined to protect my friends. While I walked in the woods, Arthur called me.

I picked up the phone and rolled my eyes, "What's my mission today, sir~?"

"Sassy today, aren't we? You didn't even say hello." Arthur laughed.

I sighed, "Just get to the point. What do you want me to do?"

He cleared his throat, "Well, where are you headed? You're walking the opposite way from your house. Are you going towards the city, or are you going to my territory?"

"How do you know where I am?" I asked in a concerned tone.

"I know more than you think, Finley. Now, answer me." He demanded.

I cautiously looked around as I walked. There was no one in sight.

I looked down, "I'm going to The Other Side."

He laughed, "Really? Why? To rescue Jewel? On my watch?"

I stopped walking and took a breath, "Well...yeah."

Arthur's voice became deeper as he spoke, "You don't sound sure. Do you really think you can rescue her? You know, you'd be nothing if you weren't a half-breed."

"You can't stop me from going there. I will get Jewel out of there." I said in an angry tone.

He responded with confidence, "Who said I was trying to stop you from going there? Anyway, we're getting off topic here. Your mission is to meet me in person today. I told mr. addict, ego boy and drama queen to let you pass, so you shouldn't have any issues."

I sighed, "Alright, I'm on my way then..."

"Good. Farewell, for now." He laughed and hung up the phone.

I put my phone away and continued walking. I crossed the bridge. I shivered from the cold.

Is it only winter over here? Why is it always so cold?

Isaac replied with a sad tone, "It wasn't always like this. There was a time when we got sunlight and everything was colorful, but ever since Arthur took over, it's been dark and cold all the time. Everything has been stripped of color."

I looked at the black and white buildings as I walked toward the Low Tier, "I didn't think the leader had that much power..."

"Yeah, that's why we need a better leader. My brother isn't fit to rule. We have to overthrow him." He said in a determined tone.

I sighed, "If only it were that easy. You can overthrow him. I'm just here to save Jewel and knocking some sense into Arthur is a bonus."

I entered the bar, expecting to find a chaotic party. However, there was only Parker. He sat down with his feet resting on the table. 

He looked at me and smirked, "Oh, look who it is. Welcome back, Finley. Everyone is sleeping. They only party here from midnight to seven. Anyway, are you here to save that girl again?"

I nodded, "Yeah, Arthur wants me to meet him in person. It's the best chance I have, right?"

Parker laughed as he opened a beer bottle, "Right you are. I was told you'd be here, but I didn't know when. It's nice to see you. Although, you look a little tired."

I laughed, "Yeah, my sleep schedule is a little weird right now. Anyway, can I ask you something before I go?"

He took a drink from the beer and sighed, "Sure, ask away."

I sat across from Parker and looked him in the eyes, "What do you think about Arthur?"

Parker's eyes widened and he looked away, "Well, to be honest..." He took his feet off the table and leaned in.

He whispered in my ear, "He's a shitty leader...your dad was the best leader we've ever had."

My eyes widened and Parker leaned back into his chair.

I looked down, "I wonder...if the other Entities agree with you."

He smirked, "The leaders of the Tiers can't be influenced, but the ones being lead can. It's like playing pretend. Anyway, you've got somewhere to be, right? I suggest you go. We can talk another time."

I stood up and smiled, "Yeah, thank you. Bye, Parker."

Parker waved goodbye as I walked out the back door.

"The leaders of the Tiers can't be influenced, but the ones being lead can." Arthur probably made everyone believe that he's a good leader, except for the leaders of the Tiers. Does that mean the others think Arthur is a bad leader too?

"I guess, you'll have to ask what they think. I wouldn't be surprised if they all had the same opinion as Parker's." Isaac's voice echoed in my head.

Maybe, but who knows? I hope I don't get thrown into the water again.

"I won't let that happen this time." He growled.

I laughed, "Alright."

I reached the entrance of the tunnel. I looked ahead and walked forward.

Here we go again.