11: Old Friend

"I told you that I hate him as much as you do..." Isaac said quietly.

I sat on my bed and asked, "Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

He sighed, "Well, I couldn't because of him..."

"What?" I asked.

"You know, my brother. He can make others do whatever he wants. He made you go to sleep, remember? He told me I couldn't tell you certain things." Isaac calmly explained.

"So, that's why I heard his voice before I passed out. That's not good. I have to rescue Jewel, but how will I do that if he can just tell me to go away?" I asked with a troubled expression.

Isaac was quiet for some time before he answered, "There is a way around it. If you can't hear him, his influence won't work. Or, you can try to resist it. I think you're capable of resisting it, considering how long you stayed awake after he told you to go to sleep."

I rolled my eyes, "You're kidding me, right? I'm not some protagonist in a story who can use willpower to solve everything. I'd rather cover my ears. Will earbuds work?"

"Yes, but you can't let him see them while you're wearing them, so be careful." He warned.

I looked for my earbuds and found them in the music box my mother gave to me as a gift. That was a month before she was arrested.

I hope mom and dad are doing well, wherever they are...

"Finley..." Isaac's voice trembled.

"Oh, you probably don't want to hear what I'm thinking, right?" I asked with a fake smile.

"No, it's not that." He replied in a clearer voice.

"Then what is it?" I asked with a confused expression.

Isaac went quiet for a moment, then responded, "I think they're proud of you."

I blinked a few times, processing what I heard. He said something comforting. I was surprised, but happy at the same time.

He asked, "Well? Do you feel better?"

I smiled, "Yes. Thanks, Isaac."

He sighed, "Good."

I put my shoes on, wore my disguise, then went to Serena's room.

I knocked on the door, "Serena?"

She opened the door and smiled, "Hey, Finley! Do you need something?"

"No, I just wanted to tell you before I left. I'm going to the city to talk to Connor." I explained.

Her eyes widened, "Why would you want to talk to someone who blackmailed you?"

I had a sad smile on my face, "Well, I should check in with him so that he knows where Jewel is."

Serena sighed, "I guess, you're right. Be careful, ok?"

I nodded and smiled, "Of course. See you later."

Serena waved goodbye as I walked out of the house. I put the earbuds in my ears. Once I entered the city, I went to the alleyway. I found Connor sitting inside the old tent.

I cautiously approached the tent, "Hi, Connor. It's Finley..."

He opened the tent, "Oh, hey. Join me in here and let's talk."

I entered the tent and sat down. Connor closed the tent then looked at me.

"So, about Jewel...she is on The Other Side. But, it's going to take me a long time to get her back because there's something I have to take care of. If I don't take care of it, I won't be able to rescue her." I explained with a frown on my face.

He smiled, "Thanks for telling me. I'm guessing you've got something against her kidnapper, right? Care to tell me why?"

I shook my head, "I don't want to tell you..."

Connor's smile faded into a frown, "Alright. Oh, there's another thing about the blackmail part of this situation. Make sure she doesn't die. If she does, this video is going to be everywhere. Remember that."

I swallowed back my anger and looked away from Connor, "Yeah, ok."

He doesn't trust me at all. Well, it's not like I trust him either.

"I know you're a good person and this doesn't seem fair to you, but there's something you need to understand: I'm the only person that Jewel has in her life and she's the only person I have too. That's why it's important for me to get her back." He said in a determined tone.

I glared at him, "Don't try to guilt trip me. If you need her so badly, then why don't you rescue her yourself?"

"I would die over there! I'm a human remember?" He shouted with an angry expression on his face.

I frowned and looked down, "I guess you have a point..."

"Don't you know what it's like to lose something you care about? You lost your mom, right? Her execution was broadcasted on live TV." Connor sighed as his eyes slightly twitched, "Everyone watched her last moments before her shocking death."

I clenched my fists, "That pun isn't funny, asshole..."

He smirked, "Oh? Was I being insensitive? So sorry. I didn't mean to irritate you."

I crossed my arms and pouted, "Yeah, right."

"Finley...his eyes. I knew something was wrong. That's not Connor..." Isaac growled.

Huh? What are you-

At that moment, I looked at his eyes.

No way. Pink eyes...

My body shuddered in fear. I realized that it wasn't Connor, but none other than my father's killer.

"Hm, your attitude changed rather quickly. Is there something wrong?" He asked with a smile.

Somehow, I forced my body to move. I sprinted out of the tent. While I ran, I glanced behind me, only to see no one chasing after me. I turned back around to face forward and ran into "Connor." I fell down and hit the ground hard. I looked up at him.

He looked down at me with an evil smile, "What's the matter, old friend? You look a little pale. Do you fear me?" His voice and Connor's voice were mixed together, as if they were both talking at the same time.

I glared at him in an attempt to hide my fear, "Leave Connor alone!"

"Connor" laughed, "Trying to hide your true emotions, are you? That act doesn't work on me. I know how terrified you are of me. After all, I killed your dear father. You've grown quite a bit since that time, haven't you?"

My body froze and I couldn't speak. He was extremely confident and intimidating. I felt like a cornered mouse that was against a hungry cat. He grabbed my arm with a tight, painful grip and lifted me to my feet.

He leaned in, removed the earbuds, and spoke into my left ear, "The girl you're trying to find is alive and well. She has tried to escape many times, but has never been able to make it to the bridge. I can even tell you where to go, but there's other things you need to do for me before that. Expect a call from me. In the mean time, I'll be waiting for you, Finley."

He let go of my arm and placed the earbuds back in my ears. Connor's eye color returned to blue.

Connor looked at me with a puzzled look, "W-what just happened?"

I held my arm that was shaking in pain.

I looked down, "Y-you were possessed by an Entity. Um, I-I have to go...bye."

I walked passed Connor and went home quickly. I was still shaken up by my encounter with the Entity of Influence. Once I got home, I went into my room and sat on my bed. I checked my phone and saved the number as a contact.

I guess, I should give him a name.

"How about asshole?" Isaac laughed.

I smiled and shook my head, "Tempting, but no."

Hmm...Arthur. Sounds about right.