3

Let's start with the actual book, hm?

Soul mates are stupid. The mark that marked us on all our wrists were ridiculous.

No one could love me once they find out who I am, Jae thought as she stared at the 8 moons tattooed on her wrist. She sat in class, tracing the circles and the phases of it.

Waxing crescent. Waxing gibbous. Waning gibbous. First quarter. Waxing gibbous. Waning gibbous. Waxing gibbous. New moon.

You can feel it burn when they're near, the tattoo like mark that you gained at 15 would be set ablaze when your soulmate was near.

Now, Jae usually hated this whole soulmate thing, convinced she would be rejected and misunderstood but for the last past week a part of the mark would part. Not all of it. Sometimes it was a subtle burn with one moon, sometimes two or three. The burn wasn't too bad.

There was only one incident when she was at the store and the subtle ring of the bell on the door rung twice, and two of her moons began to turn red and it felt like fire scorched her skin. It made her tear up in pain, but she just went on with it. Although it caused a trembling pain in her, she couldn't help but shiver in pleasure as her adrenaline kicked it and made her shut her eyes for a moment.

Since then, she relished in the burn and would often find her eyes traveling once the warming in her skin began.

"Jaehwa-ssi, you can turn in your paper and leave if you so please." The professor mumbled from his spot. Ja gave him a sheepish look and nodded, getting up to collect her things, hand in the paper and exit the room.

A coffee sounds good, She thought. Nights were rough for her. During the day, she was a pleasant, well mannered girl. Often wore sweaters and tights or jeans, leaving skirts and cuter shirts to days that she was asked to help in the office. She always had a small smile painted on her lips and a graceful walk. That all changed when she came home. She lived in an apartment on the 2ndth floor. Nights were hell and her apartment was a place that she could wipe off the makeup and the fake looks, where she would cry and think about life. Where she would write in her journal about thoughts she didn't understand and why she felt so empty.

Medically, it was all sorted out. She thought about the letter she had received earlier that day in the mail as he tightened her sweater around her, the chilly air making her pale cheeks red.

Depression. Mania. Anxiety. The list continued but she tore it up with an eye roll and blocked the clinic's number.

The warm, aromatic air drafted into her nose as she entered the cafe. She ordered a latte and sat at a peaceful table next to a blonde guy. She was going to drink her latte when suddenly the burn on her wrist made her halt and lightly gasp. The pain was excruciating as the fire now flowed in her veins, her eyes tearing up again and whimpering,

Her other half was in here somewhere. She was dying to meet them, Her leg bounced as eyes scanned the room. She saw a man stand up, all of a sudden pulling his beanie down his face and lined the cut out holed with his face.

"THIS IS A ROBBERY! TAKE ALL MONEY AND VALUABLE OFF OF YOU IF YOU WANT TO LIVE!" He yelled and everyone got down, taking off jewelry and money out of wallets.