Introduction to Elliot Price

It's pathetic what my life has become. One moment I'm a high school graduate with big dreams then suddenly I'm a college student who keeps failing his subjects and finally a salary man who's not even sure if he can be called a salary man. As a ten year old kid I envisioned myself living in a humble home, somewhere in the countryside living with my beautiful wife and two children. My life was a bliss full of happiness and peace. Needless do I know that I'd fall in love with someone who's not a woman, give my life to him and get broken in the process. It wasn't exactly the life I have dreamed off, not at all.

Now I live in this broken down studio apartment with ridiculously overpriced rent. Not to mention the utility bills and maintenance it doesn't cover. I've wanted to move and find a better place since the day I lived here but with my salary barely covering my whole life expenses there's no way I'd find somewhere cheaper than this awful place that will provide me better comfort. After all, all I need is a roof above my head and I'm sure to get by.

The day has just started. I'm out of instant coffee so that's one step gone from my morning routine. Next is brushing my teeth. At least I still have toothpaste but my toothbrush seems to need changing considering that it has been five months since I bought it. Third step? Fixing my hair? With what, my non-existent hair gel? Nah, can't be bothered. It's 6:00 a.m. sharp and I have to leave now. My office is right at the heart of the city so it'll take me exactly an hour to reach the place. Finally, I take one last glance of myself at my chipped mirror and leave the hellhole I call my house.

The downtown streets look as sketchy as ever. It wouldn't be too surprising if one day thugs will appear right in front of my face and threaten me while I hopelessly let go of my cheap leather wallet so they'd leave me alone. Not that I actually want that happen to me. It's a possibility and there's nothing wrong with preparing your mind. I hold on to my frail body and let the streetlights guide my way. As soon as I was able to step unto the city area, I let go of my breath and let the pollution and morning rush seep in. Yup, this is it.

I work directly under the head of the advertising department and by directly under, I mean I'm her lackey. Before going to the building, I make my way to the nearest coffee shop, making my stomach growl lowly from the scent of both the coffee and the pastries. I've got a credit card in my wallet that's probably worth millions but it's not for me to spend. It's for Sarah Jensen, my boss. I approach the counter and the pretty young girl with light freckles smile at me as always.

"Good morning, Elliot!" I smile back at her and nod.

"Hi Jane. You seem more preppy than usual."

She bites her lips and looks around before leaning to whisper. "David asked me out on a date." Oh, dear David. The handsome young fellow who works alongside her in this aromatic coffee shop. If I was ten years younger I'd probably make a move on him as well.

"That's great! Don't forget to tell me the deets, hon! Can't wait for some young love escapade."

She giggles lightly and hands me the usual Hot Venti Soy Latte. "I will. Have a good day, Ell!"

"You too, Jane."

Now, for the real deal. I expertly enter through the revolving doors of the high-rise building and swipe my Identification card whilst greeting the receptionist named Mila. I skip the ground floor elevator. It's 7:00 a.m. and it's already hectic. I'd hate to squeeze myself in the crowd and accidentally spill some coffee. That's the last thing I need before starting this surely awful day. I go the stairs at the right corner and walk up until the ninth floor, where'd I'd be waiting the now almost empty letter D elevator. It was sort of an accident when I found out this pattern. There's an interior design firm at eight floor and as if they're bunch of band mates going to a gig, the workers of that firm have the habit of riding the elevator D together in the morning. It was a month after I started working here. I got too tired from going up the flight of stairs that I decided to try my luck on the elevators. It wasn't until elevator D opened up that I got to ride it until 20th floor, where our company is located. I repeated it the next day and the next day after that and when it has become a pattern, I felt like a genius.

When the doors opened at my floor, Sarah was already right in front of me with the scornful look she always seems to wear. "You're late." I'm not but if you arrive after her, she considers you late. She grabs the coffee from my hand and replaces it with a pile of folders that's obviously the stack that I'll be stuck with for the rest of the day. "Photocopy everything and sort them out. You know the drill. I have a lunch out today so you're free to go anywhere, just be back at 1:00 p.m. you have more to do besides that." She doesn't even wait for me to respond. She flips her long hair and sashay through her office.

Now, Sarah isn't ugly but she isn't exactly a goddess as well. She's got a great body with the right amount of curves as a result of her die-hard work out routine  that I found out when she ordered me to bring some files to her on a Sunday at the City Fitness Center. Her nose is high and slender, her lips red and kind of pouting. She also has silky black hair that's undeniably treated with various products meticulously. She'd be perfect only if she wasn't as obnoxious. The thing is, Sarah knows guy look her way and that they'd do anything to ask her out for a dinner or some sort. She'll just flip her hair and shoot them with a sultry smile. As far as I know, it worked during the first months I got to work under her but they got used to it. One day, everyone just magically got immune to her spells and got used to her. When she realized that she didn't stop tho; she just had an upgrade and made her way to seduce those in the higher positions. They're mostly made of single, older men who seemed desperate. Sometimes, they'd try to ask Sarah out for lunch and she'd agree just for the fun of it just like today. I wonder who might it be this time?

I finished my task way before lunch time. I don't have anything else to do but I didn't leave my cubicle afraid that Sarah's going to force another work to me even if it's something she should do herself. I let a few binders remain open and my computer window in a spreadsheet. Just to be sure, I put up a hand mirror I found at the street a few days ago rest on the desk on my right, enough to see if someone's going to look over my cubicle. When I was sure I had the perfect set-up, I pull out a small notebook and a small pencil.

I entered this advertising company with the hopes of becoming one of their graphic artists but much to my dismay, the position was already filled in when I applied and instead, I was assigned to do extra works. I had the choice to just find another company who'd have the right job opening but this was the best in the city and I had this ridiculous thought that I'd get to change positions if I stay long enough. Five years later and here I am. I wasn't able to work on any advertisements and build my resume. I lingered and hoped too long that now, it's too late. I should've resigned long ago, when I felt like I was getting too caught up on my dream but what could've been is just something from the past and will never be something it should be now.

I got out of work at around 8 p.m., much later than the actual end of work which is 5 p.m. Sarah went back from her lunch date in a bad mood and made me work on her new advertising plan. Not that I get to claim it as my own. I just revised some of her words. She might be obnoxious but she's good at what she does. She didn't leave until 7:30 p.m. so I had no choice. It'll be wrong to leave before your boss, specially an angry one.

The walk home was fairly peaceful. There were no thugs who stopped me on my way and I got to arrive at my apartment safe and sound. I boiled an egg and had it with instant noodles. It's a week before I got to have my salary so things at home are scarce. I'd buy some groceries after I receive it but not without deducting the bills I have yet to pay. My life's hard. It's pathetic, I know but at least, I'm living. Living, I guess is enough.