Build and Break

I should not be allowed to see Axon for a week. No, make it two. It's been hard concentrating on work since he keeps popping out of nowhere. Doesn't he need to go to school or something? I feel like I'm in high school again; getting visited by my boyfriend at my part time job and he sends me a secret message by winking then I get so shy and embarrassed I end up messing up the latte art I'm making, not that I've ever experienced it but you get my point. One time it almost got out of hand that I gave a frequent customer an iced coffee instead of her usual flat white. Fortunately, she didn't get mad but the look she gave me and Axon was enough to make us snap out of our worlds. It was even amazing how she found out it was Axon I was distracted with.

Most of my times were spent on looking for full-time job and Axon was more than supportive to help me out. It got annoying at the beginning when he kept on pushing me to go for companies he's affiliated with but I gave him a piece of mind. Telling him that he's no different than Peter surely put him back to his place. They have officially met and it was not that pretty. They both kept on jabbing at each other, being snarky and all. It was ridiculous but hilarious at the same time. Axon is kind of possessive, and an extremely jealous type. Even Ty is not exempted to it. I remember him telling me, 'Are you really touchy-feely like that? I mean, I know they're married and all but you know? Can't you tone it down a bit?" I just laughed at him, real hard. I thought I was the childish one between the two of us but I guess Axon has his times too. Needless to say, our weird relationship is positively progressing along with my job hunting. It was a crazy ride but I finally scored a job interview with a newly established but immensely commended company just a few blocks away from my former one.

Today's the D-day. I kind of kept it a secret to everyone because I'm mildly scared I will jinx it and so that Axon and Peter wouldn't try to interfere and get in good words for me. I know they're influential enough to do that. As much as I want people helping me, I hate to get into something I really want because I had someone backing me up. I want to have it because I deserve it, because they have seen my potential, regarded my abilities. I've seen people use influence as a mere commodity and it has never served a good outcome.

The company is not located at a huge building. In fact, it stands on its own as a brick apartment-like structure, way different from everything else around it. You would think it's sketchy but I knew not to judge a book by its cover. When I got in, everything was breathtaking; from the small, plush stool placed on the corner to the large wall decals that looks absolutely magical. The whole place is aesthetically pleasing, one that you'd see on social media feeds and photo sharing platforms. It's obviously ran by a young professional but a talented one at that.

"Hi, welcome to PAINT HQ. I am Theresa, the hiring personnel. Well they call me that but I'm actually the head for productions. We don't really have a Human Resource staff or something. We're a pretty small company as you can see and we thought who else could judge applicants better but the employee herself or himself. Whoever's available really. That being said, I am the one available today so I'll be going over your application." I'm speechless. I haven't really seen any company with no HR or some sort. Not that I actually have any other application experience but they obviously do things here unconventionally. I just don't know if I'm in for it or that I am 'young' enough to be able to adapt to it. "He-hello. I'm sorry. I was out there for a second. I'm Elliot, Elliot Price." Theresa smiles widely and offers her hand for a handshake which I gladly accept. "Great! So, let's start this interview, shall we?" I guess there's no turning back now.

The first part of the interview was mostly about my background; age and birthday, in what area do I live. Their generic ones that helps them know who you are as a civilian. Next is the harder ones that actually determines whether I am suitable for the job or not. I am applying for a Senior Graphic Artist and even if I did stay in my former company for five years I don't really have any way to build my portfolio. There were no projects that were directly credited to me and I did more of office works rather than real designing. "I see what happened here, El." Theresa says as she takes a look at my past works from college. The nickname? She made it along the interview. "Can I be honest with you? With outdated works like this, your chances of getting hired is low. There are a lot of new artists out there and they are more proficient in new technology." I nod quite solemnly. "The only thing is, as what you may have already noticed, we're unlike the traditional companies out there. We like diversity and while we do have employees that are way younger than you and are well versed in the new software available, we do need someone like you as well. Someone who knows what's out there in the market already. I've heard of the company where you came from. They were our primary competitor until awhile ago. Having you here will help us remain the at the top and penetrate larger areas of the market." Am I hearing what I'm hearing? This sounds as if she's already- "You're a wonderful artist El and PAINT HQ need someone like you. So, when can you start?"

I was flabbergasted. I didn't know how to react or express what I'm feeling. Heck I don't even know what I am feeling. Is this for real? Am I actually hired? Should I shout out of joy!? Wait, I should call Axon. No, Ty first. Wait, I can't believe this. "I am hired?" Theresa leans back to her chair and nods. "But I am 27 years old. I don't have much experience. I am. Um, are you sure?" I don't know why but she laughs, loud enough to make the other employees turn their head to us. "You shouldn't be saying that me but here's the thing. I'm 40 years old, El." I felt my eyes widen in surprise. How can she be 40 years old!? She doesn't look anything like 30. Why do I keep getting deceived by people's ages? Do age don't really matter anymore? Am I so out of the modern world that I don't know what's in and what's not? "The company just started two years ago and I got here a year ago. So if you're setback is your age then better think again. It's the 21st century. No one really cares about that anymore. So, are you in?" I nodded awfully a lot in response. Words are not enough to express how happy I feel. I want nothing but to share this moment.

I messaged Ty first then he told Peter. He wasn't able to hold it off so he called me and he was bawling. It was adorable. They both congratulated me and was on their feet already to set up a celebration. I don't call Axon. I wanted to tell him in person. I remembered him telling me last night he'll be at home the whole day so I go to his flat to surprise him.

When I got there he wasn't there and it was enough to wash off the smile from my face. I was scared that something might've happened to him. I did think that he might be somewhere with someone but the concern got the best of me so I decided to wait. I've long forgotten about the surprise and wounded up messaging him. I've sent about five text messages in an hour but he didn't reply to any of it. I was so worried out of my mind that I ended up calling Ty and Peter. It wasn't until after another hour that he arrives at his flat.

I was cold and close to tears.

Yet he was laughing.

He was laughing so happily that it sent painful shivers on my body.

Where were you? I wanted to ask.

But his laugh wasn't the one that made me break down.

It's the guy snuggling on his chest, as if he belongs just right there.

Like I thought I did.