Text Message

I must be out of my mind. I actually gave Axon my number. Ty was beyond excited that I'm finally getting a 'social life' while Peter's not finding it a good thing even one bit. He doesn't like Axon and was very upfront with it. Peter thinks he's a player and I do too but there's something about him that makes me want to get to know him better. I wonder what he does for a living? He doesn't look like someone who'd own a building or some sort but he's obviously isn't poor as well. His flat was amazingly large compared to mine. Maybe he's a manager or a supervisor ? I'm obviously out of his league but I hope things such as status don't matter to him. It will be nice if we could at least be friends.

Ty and Peter needed to attend a week-long gathering at Peter's hometown which I should mention, they were forcing me into going but I came out victorious after insisting that I should stay to do some job-hunting on my own. Our little meeting didn't exactly turned out as expected so I have to somehow get by without them for at least a week or two.

How do I even do this anyway? Being a job seeker as a fresh graduate was different since they wouldn't ask me why I got fired or criticize me for not getting promoted during my five years at the company. What do fired employees do to restart their lives and find a better job? Would it have been better if I left on my own? I could probably back it up it with something like improper treatment or bad working environment but not with getting fired. It makes you look like the one with the problem, not the company no matter how ridiculous it sounds.

It has already been four hours since I gave up searching and laid in bed when an idea finally struck me. I should get a part time first while looking for a full-time. I could get several of them, actually. I quickly threw my phone and wallet to my bag and grabbed my resume which Ty, Peter and I was able to put together the past few days. I should get by with this at least. It'll make me so pathetic if I can't even score a job at the convenience store.

The convenience store doesn't need any more part timers so I had to settle for the cafe and the fast food chain two blocks away from it. The cafe owner doesn't really stay on the cafe most of the time so it was the manager who talked to me and hired me. She said I wasn't the only one who actually found refuge on part time works after being unfairly treated at his former job. She was also working as an assistant at a law firm until they too changed heads and policies and deducted her salary while making her do an intern's work. Her name's Violet and she's a really sweet woman. The fast food chain's not really picky with their employee. They hire anyone as long as he doesn't have a criminal record. I passed with flying colors, to say at least. Well it also helped that I looked younger than my real age. The manager's also a preppy woman on her late 20s named Perry who also calls me 'sweet pea'. I can see just how colorful my stay on this two places will be.

My Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and Saturdays are all dedicated to the cafe while the other days including Sundays are going to be spent on the fast food chain. The pay will not be that high but it'll be enough to support my studio rent and electricity. Both will also provide me with the leftover products as my dinner so it's also a plus on my situation.

I was excited to message Ty and Peter on my progress and though they are not as supportive as just recommending me to their connections, they were happy that I am happy and it's more than enough.

I'm not where I wanted to be and these are jobs that are probably below my capabilities but it's enough to put a contented smile on my face for the rest of the night. Maybe finally freeing myself away from the restrains of my dreams can help me become better. Maybe, there's somewhere else I belong to, different from what I expected it to be. I guess I have no choice but to let myself become open with the new possibilities. This is not a failure but a new beginning and wherever it would lead me, I should accept with wide arms.

I was almost asleep when my phone dings beside my pillow. "Hey sweet stuff." It's Axon. My heart began beating so loudly against my chest. I did give him my number but I didn't expect him to message me this fast. I thought it would at least be a week. "I know you saw my message. Come on tell me you're there." I'm already blushing and he didn't even say anything remotely cheesy. It was probably the thought of him staring at me with his piercing eyes that made do so.

"Hi." That's the only thing I could really say.

"Woke you up?" I looked at the time and indeed, it was already midnight.

"Not really."

"I can't sleep."

"Why?"

"I keep on thinking about you." I almost squealed from giddiness and embarrassment. How can he be so, so, I don't know, honest? It almost sounded like a pick-up line but you can tell he's not really joking.

"Haha."

"You're so adorable."

No, I'm not. That's not a very fitting adjective for a grown-30 year old man. "How old are you, Axon?"

"😏Wanting to get to know me better, I see."

"Um, sorry." Did that sound too upfront? Is it rude to actually ask someone his age? I don't mind being asked so I wouldn't know.

"Don't apologize. I want to get to know you better too." I haven't even thought of what to answer back when another message came in. "I have a better idea. How about we go for a lunch tomorrow?"

Is he asking me out on a date?

"I'm asking you out on a date, if you'd like to know."

I couldn't help it now, I squealed. This is not happening. Someone is actually asking me out on a date. Not just anyone, a hot, handsome, god-like guy at that. Is this a joke? Is the fate playing with me? Should I consider this a blessing or a warning before a greater catastrophe?

"Elliot? I need to read a Yes. I can't go on a date alone, you know?"

I take a deep breath and let my eyes go through the message once more. No, this is actually happening. Axon Mayers asked me out on a date. This might be going a little too fast but I don't even think I'm going to have another experience like this. I'm not a teenager anymore. Time is ticking for me. If not now, when will it be? Finally, I typed in. "Yes."