Angry Boss

Apparently, Sarah had a boyfriend. Keyword: had. Yesterday, they broke up and by some unforgiving force, she carried on with her anger until today at work and everyone including me, of course is scared for our lives. In her two years here, she never got herself a steady relationship so there was never a reason to have a post break-up fury. Therefore, making this day startling to us. No one dares to speak up nor move from their cubicles. One wrong sound and it could set off the lion. We were all praying not to become the prey who'd catch the predator's anger but apparently, I'm the weakest in the link so I had to be sacrificed. "Elliot." Sarah calls out so loudly from her office, it's almost deafening. I stand slowly from the chair and approach her cautiously. Lauren, the graphic artist mouths a 'Goodluck' to me while Caden, the story writer gives me a salute as I pass them. My hands are already sweating from fear. I had the urge to just run away but I don't want to get fired just before I get to receive my salary. I knock on her door lightly and step inside but far enough so I wouldn't get hit if she suddenly decides to throw something. "Yes, ma'am, I mean, Sarah."

She looks at me with contempt in her eyes, making me cower like a cub. "What the hell is wrong with this piece of shit!? Didn't I tell you to revise it!? What don't you understand with the word revise!?" She slammed on the desk the folders I was working on late last night. "You fucking ruined it, you idiot! I can't believe I even entrusted you with this! I might've been out of my mind! What can a low life like you understand in this level of work!? Ugh, even a dog could probably do this better than you!" I bite my lips. I don't know if it was because of the urge to cry or to hold back myself from answering back spitefully. Did she just say a dog? She should try hiring one and see if it could actually do better than me. She's spouting a load of crap just because she got cheated on. Maybe if she was a little bit nicer and doesn't flirt with hairy old men the guy wouldn't have left her. "Get out of my sight! Now!" I nod at her once and scamper back to my cubicle.

As soon as I got to sit on my chair, I let out a silent sigh. I'm hurt and mad but I can't really do anything. It's not as if I can add some more gas to the flame. She'll get over it. Maybe one of the old men from upstairs will ask her out later and then she'll have nice time and by the time she goes back, she'll be fine.

That was obviously a far away dream; as far as my dream of becoming a family man. Nobody asked her out. She was at the office the whole day. She didn't even ask me to buy her lunch. Everyone's at the edge of their sits and fail to do their job peacefully. Sarah was like a hurricane who gets everything else washed away with her. I had my dignity gone this morning so no one's taking the risk to have theirs be taken away as well.

I want to pee and since I've got nothing to lose anymore, I took the risk. I stand and stride confidently towards the bathroom. I felt everyone hold their breath. Cowards. I have undergone the wrath of the lion so another one's not gonna' break me anymore than she has broken me earlier. "Elliot!"

"Yes, Sarah?"

"Where do you think are you going?"

"Bathroom, Sarah."

"Make it fast or I'll make sure you'd spend the rest of your life inside the bathroom." See? It's not as if she could stop me from taking a leak. We don't want me pouring it all over the floor now, do we?

When I got back, Sarah's not on her office anymore. The tense atmosphere has seemingly gotten lighter and everyone's packing their bags and switching off their computers and tablets. I guess the storm has passed. "I thought you're going to get eaten, Price." Lauren said as she slung her backpack on her shoulders. I shrug at her finding this conversation extremely awkward and irrelevant.

Lauren entered the company just a year ago and ever since we have never really talked to each other. As Sarah's lackey, nobody can actually make me do anything besides her. I'm considered lower in position than Lauren and the others but Sarah's the head so no one's allowed to touch me or order me around. Lauren is just twenty-two years old, the same age I was when I entered this company. I was present during her interview so I know she graduated with a degree in graphic design like I did. She has the position I've always wanted and the life I once thought I would be living. I'm envious of her and she knows that. Her senior in the company and yet she calls me by my last name. Not to mention, that smug face she always show me whenever her works get approve. I try not to show my annoyance with her by keeping my distance but if you're dealing with a proud, young woman who have probably never experienced a slump in her life then distance will prove futile.

"I'm leaving, Lauren." I don't wait for her reply and do my own dramatic exit towards the fire exit.

I was lucky to have a hot meal coupon from the convenience store. I found it at one of the magazines lying around at the office and waited for two weeks before finally recovering it form its page. I was careful not to get caught. It's probably considered stealing but it's not as if anyone's going to use it. They're just going to dispose it after a month with the coupons getting expired with it. Tonight's dinner depended on my success in retrieving it so I had to be wise. Beef yakiniku rice bowl was the chosen meal. It barely contains any beef but the sauce and amount of rice made up for it. If only I had known of this earlier in the game, I could've saved some more of my meal money. Maybe I'd talk to the officer-in-charge of the company materials and ask her to let me have the next months' coupons. I've talked to her quite a few times so I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

I wonder if the next day's going to get any better? I hope Sarah gets over her heartbreak already. I can't have another day in hell. It's going to wear me down, I swear. All is well if it's the almighty's will, isn't it?