Meeting Halfway

I never knew I was the type to beg nor be someone who goes after another person. It's simply not me but here I am stuck after Elliot like a love-sick puppy. He has a low-esteem and doubts all the affection that's being channeled to him, it's probably a defense mechanism or some sort but that's just what makes me more fixated to him. I know for one that it's not because I pity him because if I do I wouldn't feel this overly protective, nerve-wrecking and stomach in your butterflies fondness when I am around him. I am smitten by him and I'm am not embarrassed to admit it.

Brooke was more than enthusiastic to make fun of me. The moment she saw me come in to the café just to flirt with Elliot was her catalyst. She'd send me a knowing or disgusted smirk whatever it is that suits her taste for the day. Elliot might've noticed too since he gets so timid when she's around and I get it, I would be too if a customer keeps giving you the look. 

The past days were rough and I actually thought I was going to lose him so easily. I'm pretty sure it will devastate me and will make me turn into a celibate man or if not, at least keep to myself for a year before moving on. There's just something about being with him that makes me think that perhaps I am capable of not playing around. His heartbroken face that night in front of my flat also broke my heart. It's a look I don't want to see on him again. What I said was true, he's amazing in every way and it's my job to tell him that everyday until he believes it even if it'll take us forever.

It helps that he somehow ended up working at Warren's company since I can frequently visit him like I did when he was at my café which is something I should probably tell him soon. I can't afford to put a strain on our relationship just because I failed to say one, tiny detail about me to him which also leads me to the other thing I should straighten out―our relationship. We are certainly in a more than friends relationship but I haven't gotten the chance to ask him to be officially my boyfriend. I really want to make our relationship formal to put him at ease that I'm only exclusive to him but more so for myself so that I know he's not going to suddenly leave me and look for someone better. I am just insecure that way since relationships are as foreign to me as cooking a pancake. 

Where are you? 

I do know where he is since it's a work day but I can't think of anything else to start a conversation with him. I'm stuck formulating ideas for my post grad class and it's proving to be unbearable as the clock ticks and no thought comes to mind. I'm pretty sure it'll get better with Elliot's help but I can't exactly visit him now so I settle for a text message.

Don't bother me. I'm working.

How cold. 

Warren's so cute. He's like Ty. I like him.

What? What did Warren do to make him think that way? I know how Warren is but it's not good to have him as a competition. We're the exact opposite. He is indeed like his friend Ty and having another version of him by Elliot's side will not be good for my position. That's not something I'll be able to fairly compete against. 

Ahuh. What made you think that way?

He called me to his office and he went bawling. You were right he was so sorry for what happened. Don't worry he's fine now though. Anyway, did you know he has a crush on someone? I caught him smiling on a text message so I had to ask him. 

So they're friends now? Cute people shouldn't stick together. It's like adding sugar, spice and everything nice giving birth to magical creatures that save the humanity. Not that I don't want humanity to be saved. 

You do realize he's just cute on the outside. He built that company, El. It means he's some sort of workaholic Godzilla in a disguise as a fairy. 

That's rude Ax! He's your friend. Yes, he is my boss and all but that can't stop me from being friends with him . Besides, aren't you happy that I'm befriending your friend?

I am happy.

But?

But what?

You're jealous, aren't you?

No.

Who's jealous? Axon Mayers doesn't get jealous. Other people gets jealous with me not the other way around. Not even a cute, little, kid-like man that's slipping through my sort of boyfriend's heart can make me jealous. Nope, not a chance.

You are. Hahahaha You're cute too, don't worry.

No I am not.

As you say.

I.AM.NOT.JEALOUS.OR.CUTE. 

Now I wonder why Elliot was even concerned about our age difference. It's clearly obvious who's the childish one here. I am being clingy, possessive and jealous while he's just brushing it off like the mature man that he is. I can never be compared to him. It'll take me years to develop an immunity to possible competitions over someone I really like. 

I somehow managed to get through class without further disturbing Elliot. I went to his workplace to drive him back home which to my big disappointment is at his friends' place. He ended up completely moving in with them at their enormous house at an exclusive village just outside the city area. It's safe and secluded unlike the one where he used to live. I would know because I also happen to own one house there and so as my parents and sisters. I didn't tell him that tho. I want to surprise him when the time comes. Who knows? It might just be the house we'll one day move in. 

"You don't have to drive me home, you know?" Elliot is beaming even if he just had a whole day at work. He must really like what he's doing now and I am as equally happy for him. I can still remember that night when I first saw him; drunk and unattached to the world. Now he's himself, enjoying every single minute of his life. "We don't see each other as much now so I have to find some way." It's true. As much as I want to use my power as his boss' friend, I don't want him to feel uncomfortable just because I'm too engrossed with him. When I said frequent earlier it actually meant everytime I have to discuss a project with Warren which at this time is zero to none. I have people working for me to do that and me taking that job for myself will seem so odd that I'll probably be questioned immediately. By whom? Well, just everyone who knows me.

"Don't worry I'm not going to fight with your friend Peter anymore, if that's what you're worried about." He's not my favorite person but I like him enough to entrust Elliot to him. He does well in protecting him. 

Elliot snickers beside me and shakes his head as if what I said was something ridiculous. "I know you're not going to do that. I asked Ty to cook some pasta for you. Peter doesn't like pasta so I'm more afraid that he'll blame you for not being able to eat dinner. "And I should be thankful for that?" It'll be hell then eating with him at the same table. Now even his husband is on my side. "I'm pretty sure Ty made something else for him. He's his husband, after all."

We arrived in front of his friends' house but we don't go out of the car. A heavy air surrounds us and I was afraid he could hear my loud heartbeat through the silence. Where did the confident Axon Mayers go? I'm already used to this kind of situations where I sit with someone inside my car and by some reason we end up doing something naughty or intimate if that makes it better. I attack in a moment's flash, without warning; catching my partner's breath between my lips. They love it and I relish the feeling of having someone submit to me but I just can't seem to do that to Elliot. I want to be careful so I wouldn't scare him. I want to take things little by little so he wouldn't push me away. I want to treasure every minute, every second and every piece of him. 

"Elliot." He turns to me, his cheeks delectably red like a plump seasoned tomato waiting to be squeezed. "I've been meaning to ask you this," I purposely stall to see his reaction. I can almost see gears turning on his head as one thought leads to another. He's an over thinker and sometimes I'm afraid that he's putting himself down so much that he would lost track of me and what he means to me. "can I be your boyfriend?"

He finally smiles, wide as the heaven's door. I feel relief come through me. "Yes, Axon, I would like for you to be my boyfriend." I can't any be happier right now. I feel like I just won the lottery. Elliot Price is my boyfriend. I don't really know how to wrap that newfound fact around my head but I am grateful to have him as mine.