fourty

40 ; regulus

Landing in the middle of that kitchen, I was heartbroken to see that the mother was already gone. She laid on the floor, her legs bent at odd angles, and her hair fanning around her head. Her face was one of pained beauty.

I immediately sent a protection charm at the children, the Death Eaters turning towards me.

"You're an idiot."

"Severus?"

He threw a hex at me, I blocked.

"He's got a point a there."

I wracked my brain, trying to find the name to that voice. It sounded so familiar.

"I don't think she recognizes your voice," Severus toyed with the other boy. "Too busy shagging your brother I presume."

"Melofors!"

"That was bloody brilliant sis!"

"I'm not your sister, Regulus."

"Close enough!"

I growled as I blocked his charm.

"Why'd they send two people I knew?"

"It's supposed to be a trap, Jem," Regulus said. "Someone told Voldy that you were apparating immediately, without letting anyone else know."

"There's a rat in the Order?"

"Unfortunately for you lot," Severus growled as he finally countered the pumpkin head. "Sectumsempra!"

I blocked it, then realized I hadn't heard it before, even in school. It sounded Latin. Sempra meant "forever", and sectum -

"Severus Snape! You asshat!" I shouted as I quickly translated the Latin. That was a nasty curse. As soon as my brain connected the movement, coloring, and etymology to a method I had taught myself in my sixth year, I growled lowly. "You made that based on my foundation for creating spells!"

"Your lovely brother used one of yours against me."

"I didn't know he would," I snickered. "At least I taught him the counter, I almost didn't."

"Jemina, are you out of your mind?" Regulus simply stopped dueling, and as I countered spell after spell from Severus, I glanced at him. "Why are you doing this?"

"Because you bastards are finding ways around me. You lot are starting to figure out that if you refrain from deciding on a target, I get less time to stop you."

"You have a daughter."

"Don't you dare mention my daughter," I snarled. "Diminuendo!"

Snape quickly removed his shrinking mask, sneering at me. He stopped dueling with me as I blocked the children with my body. Regulus removed his own mask.

"You'd be dead right now if they had sent anyone but us," Snape said quietly. "Especially Lestrange."

"Bellatrix?"

"She has a vendetta against you for that stunt you pulled in that village. You nearly killed her, and then took down nearly everyone with her without blinking."

"I've beaten Bellatrix more than once now, I doubt she will ever best me in a duel. I bet I have a larger vendetta against her - she killed my parents."

"If it's a trap, where she's waiting for you, then..."

I shook my head. "Why are you so worried about me?"