Chapter 18: Herobrine?

Ginger's POV

"Ok guys, I'm going mining.", I say, grabbing my pic axe. "Can I come with you? Please?", Chloe asks. "Well I wish you could, but it might be too dangerous for you. There are a lot of creepers out now, but you can come next time. I promise.", I tell her. "Awww, okay. Bye!" "Bye!", everyone else says as I head towards the door.

I walk out and shut the door behind me.

~15 minutes later~

I climb out of the mine and sit by the hole that leads to it, and I count what I mined. Ok, 36 coal, 28 red stone, 4 gold..., I start to think, but something in the distance catches my attention. I see I figure, kind of far from where I am. All of a sudden, it's eyes start glowing white, and my jaw drops.

Herobrine?

I want to get closer, but I'll probably get hurt, so I just run back inside, slamming the door behind me. "You okay?", Ashley asks. She's sitting on her bed, eating an apple. "Look, I don't want you to tell Chloe or the guys yet so they don't freak out, but...", I start whispering, "I saw Herobrine outside.

"Her eyes widen. "You saw Herobrine?!", she says shocked. "Shhhh!", I tell her. Ashley pulls out her golden sword and heads toward the door. "Show me where you saw him."

We step outside and I point to the figure, pretty close to us, "Over there." She starts walking over to the figure, getting closer and closer. "Ashley, no! Don't do it!", I yell. "No! You're not going to stop me from getting rid of him!", she turns around to say that but after that she keeps walking. I try to stop her, but she doesn't listen. Then I just look away, because I don't want to know what happens next.

I hear a door open and then shut again. I look, and I see Mason and Justin running towards me. "What's going on?", asks Justin. "Everything okay?", asks Mason. "No", I answer them both, "Nothing's okay right now. I was mining, and then I saw, well, what looked like Herobrine, and then-" "What?!", they both say in unison, with huge eyes.

"Yeah! So I ran inside, and-" "Wait", Justin interrupts, "Where's Ashley?" Aw crap. I remember Ashley, and I slowly turn around. I can see her, she's laying on the ground, her eyes closed, sword still in hand. Quickly the three of us run over to her. "Ashley!", I cry right before I kneel on the ground next to her.

"Oh no...", Justin says kneeling on the ground next to me. Mason kneels down on my other side. Ashley's eyes open a little bit, "Ginger... I'm sorry", she says quietly, "I sh-should have listened to you..." "It doesn't matter now, what matters is that you're okay", I try to say without crying. "Ashley, how many hearts do you have?", Justin asks, getting a little closer to her. "One", she says.

"Hold on a minute. I'll be right back", Justin says. He runs over to an apple tree and cuts it down. The three apples fall out and he takes them and runs back to Ashley. "Eat these", he says, giving her the apples. She manages to sit up, and eats them. "Now how many hearts do you have?", he asks again.

Ashley's POV

"Two and a half", I say feeling a little better. "Here", Justin says picking me up, "Let's go inside now" "I'll get the door", Mason says running over to them. He opens the door for us and Justin carries me inside, laying me on my bed.

Justin makes some cookies and we each have two. "And now how many hearts?", he asks me. "Five", I answer smiling. "I'm okay now" "Good", he says.

Ginger's POV

"So, wait, what happened exactly? You saw Herobrine, then Ashley saw him, and then he hurt her?", Mason says. "Yep. Pretty much" "Why didn't you tell me as soon as you saw Herobrine?", he asks. "Because, if I would have told you right away, he still would have been around when you came out, and then you and Ashley would have both gotten hurt", I explain.

"I probably could have done something about him", he says. "But you still would have gotten hurt, with or without doing anything! And I don't want anything to happen to you!", I tell him. He smiles. "Because I love you" We both seem to realize what I just said and our eyes go wide.

"What?", he says.

"What"

"I said 'because I care about you', why are you looking at me like that?", I say trying to cover up what I just said, even though I'm doing a poor job of it. "No, you said 'because I love you'", Mason says smirking. "Nope. No, no I didn't. I said 'care about' not 'love', end of story", I say. "Oh! Look! There's Herobrine! I better go..... See... how he is, and stuff. So, yeah, I'll see you later!", I say right before running off into nowhere.

I keep running until I see a forest, and I sit beside one of the trees. Why did I say that? What am I, crazy?! I can't be in love! I look around the tree and I see Mason, so I quickly hide again, but he sees me. "Ginger", he calls. "What's wrong?" I can hear him getting closer and suddenly he's standing in front of me. "What was that? What the heck just happened?", he asks.

"I don't know", I say. "You said you love me and then you completely bailed on it", he says. "Why?" "Because...", I try to tell him. "I'm afraid to be in love" He looks a little confused at first, but as I start to explain, he understands.

"I dated this guy a couple of years ago, and after a little while of being with him, he told me he loved me", I continue. "Then after a while, he just dumped me, out of the blue, and after that I never heard from him again. That's what I'm actually afraid of, losing people that I care about too much"

Mason stays quiet for a little while, but then sits down next to me and says, "Well, that guy was really stupid. He didn't deserve you" "Thanks", I say. "And, that's why I... Kind of passed out that day when you said you loved me. Now that I think about it, I wasn't afraid of loving you, I was afraid of losing you"

As an effort to change the subject, I stand up before Mason can say anything else and say, "So, you wanna help me find Herobrine, or what?"