Beta

Beta

We were probably three hours into the ride when we stopped at a gas station

We were probably three hours into the ride when we stopped at a gas station. Right beside it was a restaurant and from outside, the big advertisements could be read. 'Best cheeseburger in the world right here!' and 'Value meal at only 4.99$! Wow!'

Reading all of their adverts, I realized how I haven't eaten for almost two days now. That cheeseburger sounds really nice, right now. My stomach even started grumbling and I held it to calm it down.

I'm really hungry, but I didn't have any money.

I looked outside to the Beta who was filling the gas tank up and thought for a while.

'No, I possibly can't ask him, right?' I asked my wolf.

'Hm, I agree, but at this point, you'll die of hunger. You have to eat something.'

I sighed and sucked my stomach in. 'It's okay, I can still go on. Precisely four days without food.' 

Inside my head, my wolf argued that I couldn't keep going in an empty stomach and how it's different from before and how I needed more energy because she was here now. It was probably true, but I ignore it. It's okay. Somehow, I'll survive.

I watched as Alec went inside the convenience store and came back out with two bottles of water. At least, I got water.

My stomach was rumbling and I was trying so hard to make it stop and thankfully, it stopped just as he got inside the car. He brought the engine back to life and put his seatbelt on and I was silently saying goodbye to those cheeseburgers.

Ah, and they looked really good too.

"Alright! Time to hit back--"

Silence.

OH. MY. GOSH.

My stomach made a monstrous sound. It was actually loud enough to make him stop talking.

Can I die now?

'Why are you so embarrassing?' my wolf scolded inside my head. I wanted to cry, but I kept a straight face.

He looked down at my stomach and back to my eyes and switched between them for a few while.

"Do you wanna grab--"

Play it cool, Hannah. Cool.

"N-no! I'm fine! Are you hungry?" I tried to brush off, even adding a fake laugh for effect.

Alec narrowed his eyes at me and did that thing with his hand where he pointed at the direction of the restaurant. "Are you sure? Because you sounded pretty hun--"

"Me?! Hungry?! Puhlease." As much as I wanted to convince him, all I can say is that it was an utter failure because there it was again. My stomach protested, wanting to be fed and this time, it made sure that it was heard louder than the last.