48

Forget lectures, forget university.

Jeongguk was ready to risk his life when he heard Jimin's voice through the phone, had never known that Park Jimin's voice itself could give him such a big impact that Jeongguk had to clench his jaw and curl his hand into a fist, ignoring the pain as his nail dug his palm. Jimin's voice sounded rather monotone and emotionless, in which Jeongguk wondered if the latter knew what was happing right now—did he know that Hyun was waiting for someone his parents? Did he even feel guilty for neglecting his son when the little boy had been looked after by the officers for almost a week now?

Sure, Jimin had everything he needed. The power, the money to manipulate things as he wanted, but shouldn't he at least live like a normal person who has feelings? Jeongguk was fully aware that Jimin was out of his league, and maybe, maybe his imagination wouldn't be able to imagine how rich Park Jimin was. He was only 26, yet already owned a company. He was only 24 when he had hundred of staffs working under him, fully relying on Jimin to make a living in the metropolitan of Seoul. Jimin was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, had never felt the struggle to live for him to be showered with wealth since the beginning, had always been trained that money could solve everything.

Jeongguk came from a pretty well-off family as well, but he had a whole different life. He used to hate how strict his parents were until he knew Jimin and looked after Hyun, now had realised how money wasn't the thing that made you a better person. It's the inside that matters—the heart. Jeongguk now understood why his parents were against the idea of him gambling like his life depended on the cards and pokers, understood why his dad always yelled at him every time he was caught going out at night. Called him rebellious, but that was who Jeon Jeongguk used to be. Maybe it's a part of early adulthood that he always tended to brush it off, leaving everyone behind and prioritised his addiction over everything. Jeongguk always wanted to try, always wanted to feel the pleasure in everything he did.

But now that he had grown up and gained the sanity to think further, Jeongguk realised that his parents had done the right things all these while. Realised that they had their own reasons as to why they kept Jeongguk locked in the house back then.

So that he wouldn't be as spoiled and heartless like Park Jimin.

His grasp on the steering wheel tightened when he turned towards a road that wasn't too familiar to his eyes. He was still questioning as to why Jimin wanted to meet up at Jayu Park and on top of all, it's almost midnight and safe for Jeongguk to say that there would be no one apart from them. He was more than used to see Jimin in the chaotic casino, so meeting him at a quiet garden like this made him feel disturbed for some reason.

Pulling into an empty parking lot, Jeongguk reached for his hoodie from the front passenger seat and exited the car. As expected, the park was engulfed by a deafening silence, not even a single person was seen walking around. He tucked his hands into the hole of the hoodie, making his steps towards no specific direction as he looked around to spot for any silhouette. Jeongguk knew how Jimin would dress when he's out at night—a black snapback to keep himself in disguise, a leather jacket and ripped jeans. An outfit that someone would never be able to guess that he was actually a CEO, not just a guy who's busy lurking around like a night owl.

There, within the pitch black night, Jeongguk spotted a figure leaning against the railing, a noticeable curl of white smoke leaving his lips. He groaned a bit, had always hated to be exposed to cigarette smoke but tonight, he had no choice but to confront Jimin and talk it out.

Before Jeongguk could say hi, the sound of his footstep made Jimin turn his direction towards him, the cigarette butt remained clasped in between his plump lips. Jeongguk didn't retort nor scrunch his nose to show a sign of disgust. Instead, he only stared at Jimin and the cigarette with a blank expression plastered on his face.