SpecsxElmer: Blind

Specs' POV

Darkness, it's all I see. There was a time that my glasses could help me see, but that seems like years ago. Within the past two years my vision has gone spiraling down. I cannot see a thing now. All I see is darkness. No shadows or light. I would kill to see a nice sunny day in New York. I would kill to see my fellow newsies again. I would kill to see my boyfriends smile again. There is a lot that I would kill to see again, but this is my life now, I have to live with it.

The newsies have been very accepting of it and have helped to make my life a little bit easier. Finch found a walking stick for me, they keep the floors clean now so I don't trip over anything, they let me know if there is an open stall to use, and they help to make sure I don't fall down the stairs. Elmer has a 'special job' as he calls it. We share the twin bed as best as we can, if I have a hard time falling asleep since I can't tell if it's light or dark outside he helps me sleep by rubbing my back or telling the random stories he makes up. He's the best and has stuck with me for the ride.

This particular morning I was having a hard time finding my newsboy hat. Frustration is starting rise in my system, I could if sworn it was in its normal place. On my bed frame. In some ways I was like Crutchie, hated asking for help. But sometimes help is the only answer. Do I just call out random names till someone answers? I crawl to the headboard and feel around. It could have fallen behind the board. I move to get my walking stick but it slipped off the bed. I let out a frustrated sigh, I sink down to my knees and feel around for the stupid thing. "Do you need help love?" I look up and give a crooked smile.

"It's that obvious?"

"Eh only slightly, here's the stick. Anything else you need help with?" I take the stick and stand up.

"I can't find my hat." I hear Elmer's feet walk away from me which leads me to guess he went to the other side of the bed. I hear him grunt slightly and scratching which leads me to guess he is moving the bed.

"Ah ha!" I hear the bed move back to place. I then feel something cover my head. I place one hand on my head to feel my hat.

"Where was it?"

"Behind your bed silly," I can hear the smile he has on. I can feel my face heat up. " Ya know, you're cute when you blush," I feel my face get hotter by the second. "Ready to sell papes?"

"As ready as I'll ever be." I feel Elmer's soft lips kiss my cheek.

"Well lets get going!" I laugh at his excitement. I hear him walk away from me. I follow the sound of his steps and with the help of my stick I get to the top of the stairs. With the help of Elmer I'm able to get down the steep staircase.

Once outside I feel Elmer stick his hand in my pocket to find the change for the papes. "Here," I put out a hand for the papes. "Do you want me to lead you to your regular stop or we can go somewhere new?" Elmer sticks by my side when selling. It's easier to sell when someone has a set of eyes.

"Um we can go somewhere new. New people."

"Alrighty, lets get this started!" I can't help but laugh when Elmer takes my hand and drags to somewhere.

After walking for what seems like an eternity, we stop. "Here?" Speaking that I couldn't see, I couldn't tell if this was the stop.

"Yup! It looks busy so I'm hopping that we can sell fast!" I smile and we start to sell.

We work as a team. Meaning, we both do the normal for getting people to buy, sometimes make people feel pity, we are newsies, we pull all the heart strings. We each hold a stack. Since I can't see, once they want a pape Elmer takes the money and hands them the pape. By the end of the day we split the money and continue for the next day. 

"Alright Specs, we both sold all the papes! This spot is a good mine!"

"Why yes, yes it is." I hear Elmer break out into a fit of giggles.

"How about we head out to find something cheap for dinner then back to the lodging house?"

"Sounds perfect."

Hand and hand Elmer and I walk through the crowed Manhattan sidewalks chatting away. We find a little soup market that is very cheap. I get chicken noodle, Elmer gets corn chowder. He drags me over to an entourage table. "It's like a makeshift date almost." I can't help but laugh.

"And it's amazing." The soup is amazing. We head back to the lodging house, I can hear Albert, Race, and Finch playing an intense game of go fish. The two of us made our way to the back of sleeping quarters and sit on my bed. I put my cap on the headboard of the bed, and my walking stick is leaning against the little nightstand we have (do they have nightstands?)

"Well today was a great day!"

"Yeah! I mean that spot you found was great and the soup was amazing. And got to spend the day with the best."

"You my darling are a cheese ball." I can hear the smile in his voice.

"Only for you." I feel his lips touch my cheek.

Wouldn't want to spend my day with anyone else.