Deaf part 2

So a while back I did a Jack and Crutchie story and Jack was deaf. In this one I wanted Jack to be able to get the implants to hear.
Disclaimer: I have done research on the implants but I'm no expert. If I get anything wrong please tell me!! Italics means sign.

Crutchie's POV

So I have a little surprise for Jack for his birthday. For a while he's been saying how he wants to be able to hear my voice, our friends, and his own voice.

I've been picking up extra shifts at my job for this surprise. It's bit on the expensive side but it's totally worth it. I get my final paycheck, and I make the appointment for a day that Jack has off. I hop in the car and race home, barley being able to contain my excitement.

I barge through the front door to be met with Jack hanging up his coat. He comes over and gives me a quick kiss. "How was your day?" He takes my coat for me to hang up next to his.

"It was good, long but good. How about you?" I am a social worker and some days can feel like a lifetime with certain clients.

"Eh the kids were alright, couldn't really focus." Now Jack techies at a Cleary School for the Deaf. The department he's in is English.

"Aw I'm sorry babe, maybe tomorrow they will be more interested in the book for class." His shoulders shrug and heads into the kitchen. He mostly does the cooking but I keep track of the timer, setting it and making sure he doesn't miss the timer. With the both of us working on dinner it's over within an hour.

Dinner of course was amazing, but my heart starts beating waiting to tell him the news. I think he can sense somethings up. I can't keep it in anymore. "I got some exciting news!"

"What?" A delicate smile is on his face.

"So I know how bad you've been wanting to hear things for a while. Well I've been putting some of my paycheck aside and got enough to afford the Cochlear implants!"

His face goes from shock to the biggest smile in the words. Jack stands up as fast as he can, I can feel his strong arms around me, I can feel his tears damping my shirt. My arms go around him just as tight. He pulls away just far enough for him to sign thank you over and over again. I grab his face and kiss him lightly, putting my forehead to his. Our smiles are as big at the moon.

"I've set up the date for spring break since it's the soonest one. It's only a week but you can take off more till your ready to go back."

"I can't believe this is happening. Thank you so much. I can't tell you thank you enough. I love you so much."

"I love you too." His arms find his way around my shoulders again, squeezing me tightly. I smile into his shoulder. This will change his life forever.

Time skip to day of surgery:
No one's POV

They got to the hospital, hearts beating as fast as a you could imagine. However, the smiles on their faces was ear to ear. Jack's signing was fast, the excitement was raiding from him. Crutchie eagerly signing back.

Soon Crutchie heard Jack's name being called. They exchanged kisses before Jack went with the nurse.

****************
A few hours later

The nurse came to bring Crutchie to Jack's room. The nurse was telling him that the surgery was a success and a little bit of the recovery process. They entered the room to find Jack slowly waking up, he was a bit dazed. The nurse said she will be back with doctor shortly.

Crutchie walked over to Jack's side gently grabbing his hand. Smiles were still on both of their faces. "You did it!"

"Yeah, I can't believe this is real." The two didn't have much to say, their smiles spoke a thousand words instead.

The doctor soon came in with a bright smile as well. "Well Mr.Kelly your surgery was a success. Recovery might be a bit tricky but nothing too serious. Now, I won't turn the implant on yet, it will take two weeks so your body and ears get use to this new adjustment. Also, it will most likely take about a year for you to be use to hearing and make sense of speech."

With that information the doctor let them leave the same day, see as Jack wasn't showing signs of discomfort (*okay but I was shocked that they could leave the same day. Or they could stay over night if need). They headed home confident that this will be a life changing experience.

******************
A few weeks later:

Jack was able to get his implants turned on, at first he heard little buzzing sounds.
"Jack? It's Doctor Jackson. Are you able to hear me?" He nodded his head slowly, couldn't believe he heard the doctor.

"How about me?" Jack's head turned to Crutchie's, tears in his dark brown eyes as he nodded. Crutchie moved to hug Jack, tears in his eyes as well. Jack was in shock, his husbands voice was so beautiful. They parted ways so the doctor can finish going over the next steps to take.

"So Jack, you have been deaf since birth so this will be a longer process. First, you will need to see an audiologist to get use to hearing, a speech therapist to get use to using your voice and how to pronounce things correctly. These next few months will be rocky but soon you will get use to having the implants and use to talking soon. But I stress the importance of the next appointments you will be making. You must see them in order for everything to work properly. Now I'll be sending up a list of doctors that can help with your speech and one with audiologists to the front desk. Any questions?" The two had none, excited to leave. Jack was more excited to be able to hear his husbands voice over and over again.

They got the lists and headed home. "Okay so I've been dying to say this but I wanted to wait till we are alone and in the comfort in our home," Jack was over the moon to hear Crutchie's voice. He could insult him and he would still love it. He set the two of them on the couch before Crutchie continued. "I love you. I will be saying it over and over again cause now you can hear me say how much I love you." Jack pulled him into a quick kiss. You can feel the happiness radiating off of them.

The last step was for Jack to learn how to use his voice.

************
The next few months:

Jack was going to doctors appointments and speech therapy slowly yet surely he was learning to use his voice. At first it was groggy and sore. His throat hurt a lot but it was part of the process. Crutchie helped him with his voice exercises. As expected there were good days but also bad ones.

Jack was back at work, thankfully he only needed to teach English using sign.

Well today was the day. Jack has gotten the strength to say more than one word. Each day his vocal cords have gotten stronger. He spoke very slowly but as time went on he would be able to talk at a normal pace. Jack knew that the whole recovery process took a year to fully get use to sounds and talking. But the process he has made so far was remarkable.

Crutchie hasn't fully heard Jack's voice as he wanted to surprise him. He surprised Jack with the implants, so wanted to surprise him with his voice.

Jack slightly heard the locking sound of his car the drive way. His heart was racing as he heard Crutchie's keys in the door. It is amazing to him how much he can hear. "Honey I'm home!" Jack's laugh was matched with a little eye roll. Crutchie came to the living room to give him a hug. When they pulled apart Jack stared a longer than usual. "Do I have something on my face?" Jack's laugh came back again.

He stepped away with a big sigh. With the smile on his face, "Hello love." His voice was low but still able to be heard.

Crutchie stared in amazement, his signature smile was five times the normal size.

"Oh my god." His arms were back around Jack in an embrace.

"I love you." And that my friends was the icing on the cake for Crutchie.

The two spent the first ever night of their relationship and marriage being able to talk without sign.