AlbertxElmer: Mute Part 2

This is a part two based on an one shot done a while back! Hope you enjoy!

Albert's POV
Time flys when you're in love. I mean Elmer and I have been married for two years already. We have established careers. Elmer is a preschool teacher, and I am a Video Capturer. When people have tv shows or movies and they need close captions, that's where I come in. Still after all this time, I haven't uttered a word. Elmer has never asked me, but I know deep down that he would love to hear my voice.

For our wedding I signed my vows. My vows. Hear his words, then only him who is fluent in sign being the only one in the wedding to understand what I said. Yes, our friends know sign and some family, but they aren't fluent. I know it didn't bother Elmer, but it bothered me.

I love hearing him talk, it's my favorite sound. The words that fall out of his mouth are beautiful. I could spend hours hearing him talk.

It can be annoying at times when I only sign, when one of us is driving no talking can be done. When we are in different rooms it's impossible to communicate. Our friends know sign but having to translate everything I say and when I say it, the topic has already changed. To me this is highly irritating. I wish I could change these things but, it requires me to learn how to talk. My vocal cords haven't been used in years, I would need to go to a speech therapist to work with my vocal cords. I mean when I was young like a toddler, I learned to speak, then one day I decided to go mute. I might still have it in me.

I want to learn how to talk, there is a big reason as to why. Elmer and I want to adopt. I want our future child to know my voice, I want the child to learn how to speak rather than learn sign language at first. Yes, I know that Elmer would be happy either way. But I want to do this help our family build a stronger bond. "Whatcha thinking about babe?" Elmer's arms wrap about my shoulders.

"Life, liberty, and happiness."

"Original answer." I can basically head his eyes roll.

"Have you been able to do more research about adoption?"

"During my lunch break I was able to do some, but I think we can do more tonight."

"Sounds good to me. Want me to start dinner?"

"That would be amazing. Whatcha cooking?"

"Um I was thinking Potato Pierogis?"

"Hell yes," We head into the kitchen to start the process. As I stir the results in the pot and add the sauce I think about places to take voice lessons. Or even if I could speak without one. The last time I talked was years and years ago. "Al I think the stirring is done," Elmer giggles. I look down and he is right, can't get anymore combined. I divide it into two plates to go to the dinning room. Elmer is going on a rant about stuff he heard in the teachers lounge, me I'm barley listening. Staring at my glass of water, eh why not. I chug as much as I can making my throat less irritated. "How about you?" Well here goes nothing.

"G-good." My throat is on fire, it comes out scratchy, almost like it's crocking. Elmer's eyes are as wide as saucers.

"Did you go do what I think you just did?" My head nods rapidly. "Oh my god. Oh my god. How-"

"I wanted to speak, not just for you but for our growing family. It's going to be a while till I gain full strength of my voice. But better late than never."

"I am so proud of you. You didn't have to do this, I mean like it's amazing that you want to use your voice. But if you feel more comfortable signing I don't want to stop you."

"No no no, I am ready. Just gotta take baby steps."

Third Person POV

It has been a few months and Albert has been flying by in speech therapy. His throat doesn't burn when he talks, he is able to speak full sentences.

Just like Albert is with Elmer's voice, Elmer has fallen in love with Albert's voice.

They have also been working on the adoption process. It's been a long and bumpy road but after the year long process they have officially adopted twin toddlers. Daughters to be exact.

Let me tell you, those girls are highly spoiled. Albert is esthetic that he is able to communicate with his daughters, love that they are able to learn his voice.

Albert was right, learning to talk did strengthen his family, and the communication grew stronger.

It was worth it in the end.