Chapter Six

"21, bitches!" Pia cheered in excitement, quickly calculating the cards in front of her.

I nudged Pia and she gasped, covering her mouth in embarrassment. "I mean, beez...nich."

Everyone chuckled and assured her that it was okay for to be herself. My mom headed into the kitchen to grab another round of hot chocolate. Since everyone was distracted, I took the opportunity to talk to my mom one on one.

"I can help prepare them," I offered, pouring the warm milk into different mugs. "So, how are you doing?"

"I've been doing great, hija. Nicholas is a good man."

I nodded. "I'm glad he's treating you well."

"I love him, hija," she giddily admitted.

I stared at her with bewildered eyes. "That's pretty fast," I scolded.

She frowned, then looked at Nicholas, who was dealing the cards out and lightly smiled. "He makes me happy. I think I deserve this, don't you?"

"I deserved not to be thrown out of my house like a dog," I lashed out suddenly. I noticed that all heads turned to me and I stared at Elijah blankly.

"Whatever," I mumbled and headed upstairs to Elijah's old bedroom.

I collapsed onto the bed, grabbing onto the pillow and buried my face in it. There was a light knock on the door which I ignored. A few seconds later, the door opened.

I peeked up and watched Elijah walk towards the bed. He sat down on the edge and placed his hand on my leg. "Talk to me."

I sighed deeply and held the pillow tightly. "I think I resent my mom," I admitted. I didn't have an emotional relationship with my own mom. We had good times and bad times, but most of the time, I spent thinking about what she could've done right.

"Parents aren't perfect. I'm not close to my dad and he's done many things to infuriate me, but I'll still keep him close," Elijah said.

"Yeah, but your dad never kicked you out of your house. She's lathered in expensive clothes and make up and acts as if her past is behind her."

"Morena, many people want to put their past behind them. What your mother did to you was heart breaking, but she had her struggles too. You don't have to forgive her, but for now, give her a break. At least for Thanksgiving."

I groaned inside the pillow. The fact that Elijah could easily become to bigger person irritated me, but he was right. We all wanted to forget the worst parts of us.

"Okay," I mumbled and looked at him with uncertainty.

He leaned over and placed a delicate kiss on my forehead. His lips lingered longer than expected and he slowly pulled away. His fingers traced my jaw as he looked with wistful eyes.

"Are you okay?" I asked, softly.

"Yeah," he whispered almost inaudibly.

The bed lifted up lightly as Elijah stood up. He walked over to my bag and grabbed the new sleep medication that Dr. Richardson prescribed. "Are you going to want one?" He asked.

"Yes, please." He handed me one of the pills along with the water bottle that was on the side of my bag.

Elijah took another pill out and tossed it into his mouth without any water.

"Are you sure you're okay?" I asked again. "If this is about yesterday, I'm really sorry."

"No, baby. Don't worry about that. I just want to rest well tonight." He opened the bedroom door and stepped out. "I'll be back. I'm trying to win my money back from Pia."

"You're not dealing with an amateur. She's got arrested for gambling before," I chuckled.

"Worth a shot," he said before closing the door.

***

Although the delicious scent of vanilla waffles and greasy bacon filled the air, I didn't go down to eat breakfast. I wasn't in a cheerful mood and to avoid breaking down everyone's spirits, I decided to stay in the bedroom.

Pia, Elijah and even Felix attempted to get me out of the room, but I was persistent about staying put until dinner. I expected either my mom or Nicholas to be next to knock on the door but I was pleasantly surprised when I found my grandmother on the other side of the door.

"Abuela!" I smiled. I ran into her arms and held her tightly.

"Mi Morena, how have you been?" She rubbed my arms as she gave me analyzed me from head to toe. "Have you been eating?"

"No, not really," I said, disappointed in myself. "I haven't been the best," I confessed. I couldn't lie to my grandmother.

"So I've heard," she admitted with no shame.

I scrunched my nose up in an offended manner. "Wow, from who?"

"From you," she played off.

"Uhuh..."

She laughed, a very genuine laugh that put a smile on my face.  "I want to see that more often," she commented.

"It's so hard. There's been so much going on and --"

"And there will always be a lot more going on," she interjected.  "I've lost a lot in life and managed to pick myself up. I believe with all of my heart that you have strength to do that too."

"But --"

"Pero nada," she finalized before standing up. "I'm going down to help with the dinner. Elijah and the other two are outside in the backyard. Join them, please."

"Fine," I groaned and slipped on a thick cardigan. She placed her hand on my shoulder as we walked down the stairs. My mom glanced up and a smile spread across her face as she met my gaze. She stepped towards the side, in hopes to get some sort of physical embrace, but my grandmother shook her head. She understood that I needed space from my mom.

"I'll be outside," I mumbled, walking past them and opening the back door.

Pia had been lounging on a seat, reading the latest editorial she wrote. She had a habit of obsessing over her published work. She always had a prideful look as she flipped through the pages effortlessly.

Elijah and Felix were playing basketball. Felix ran around, showcasing his fit body. Elijah wore an over sized tank that was doused in sweat. It was a warm day for it being late November, but I didn't mind the weather or the view.

"Take your shirt off," I cat-called.

Elijah turned his head towards my direction. A smug smirk appeared on his dewy face. "As you wish," he hollered, removing his shirt.

"Roles are reversed this time," Felix commented.

Elijah yanked the basketball from Felix's hands and threw it towards Felix's chest in an aggressive manner. Felix groaned as he fell to the ground, placing his hand over his chest and tried catching his breath.

"Kind of deserved it," Pia said, not peeling her eyes off the magazine.

Before I could fully appreciate a shirtless Elijah, my mom peeked her head out the back door and called for our attentions. "Freshen up, please! Dinner is ready and we will make announcements!" She informed, cheerfully.

My face morphed into confusion. Elijah jogged up to and placed a tender hand on my waist. "What does she mean by announcements?" I asked him.

A troubled expression washed over him. "Looks like we will just have to wait and see."