Chapter Forty-Five

The cab pulled to the front of the apartment. I stepped out of the cab, only to have three black SUVs surround me. Dad had warned me that the FBI would try to corner me to show their fury. A few men popped out of their vechiles, including Agent Asher who stared me down with his dark black eyes.

"What the hell was that?" He fumed. "We were able to hear everything perfectly and then it shuts off!"

"Maybe your equipment was faulty," I suggested, walking away but one agent stepped in front of me.

"Where is the rest of the equipment?" He growled.

"It accidently fell into the garbage disposal," I shrugged.

"You've damaged a hundred thousand dollars worth of equipment. You're responsible for that payment."

I opened my backpack and every agent withdrew their guns. I casually pulled out the stack of money dad told me to hold onto and threw it on the floor. "There's a little more. I'll be on my way now," I said, shoving past the agent that originally blocked me

"This isn't over, Morena. We will be watching you," Agent Asher threatened.

A tightness grew in my chest as his words processed. I had done nothing illegal, but knowing that I would be watched had me simmering in guilt. Dad advised me to not let their words get to me. He said to go through life with the idea that everything is a bluff, but I knew Asher would be following me for a while.

I opened the door to the apartment only to be bombarded by questions from my friends and Felix. Felix looked livid and grabbed my arm, only to toss me onto the couch like a rag doll.

"What were you thinking to cross the FBI?" He yelled.

"Calm down, Felix," Pia scolded and sat by my side. "I'm sure she has a perfectly reasonable explanation."

"Look, my dad has colon cancer and is inches away from death. I refuse to let him rot in a cell and --"

"And what?" Felix interrupted. "Die alone? You have a husband, Morena. He is prison for a crime he didn't commit and let me remind you, a crime your father orchestrated."

"I know that," I snapped. "He fixed the problem and Elijah is going to be released tomorrow morning. Everybody wins: my dad doesn't die and Elijah comes out."

"Oh your dad will die, but not in prison," Felix spat before charging out of the apartment.

I rubbed my forehead and looked onto the ground. I didn't think that my actions would cause so much emotional distress. I had been betrayed several times in my life, and I didn't want to be the one to jab the knife into a loved one's back. I knew that gut wrenching too well to want to inflict that same amount of pain.

"He'll get over it," Pia assured as she rubbed my back.

"I don't care if he does," I sighed. "I did what I believed was right."

"I'm glad you made your own choice, Mo," Xavier said. "It's time to set your own path. You have to be an example," he said, looking to my stomach.

I gently smiled and placed my hand on my pelvic area. "I have my appointment tomorrow before class."

"That's exciting!" Pia screeched in excitement. "I still can't believe our babies will be best friends or future soul mates."

"Possibly," I smiled.

"No, it will happen," she said in a serious tone.

"I can't believe I'm going to be an uncle," Xavier exhaled.

A broad smile appeared on my face and I looked at Xavier with a look of awe. He told me that he would be with me through this pregnancy, but a part of me thought he was saying it because I wanted to hear it not because he meant it. It filled my heart to know that not only was he on my side, but would assume a special role in my child's life.