Chapter Eleven

I decided to become the bigger person and reach out to my friends. I've once casted them in the shadows and now that I was thrown in the same darkness, I didn't enjoy the feeling. Xavier rejected my invitations to lunch, study groups, and even the arcade. He has engulfed himself in the excitement of Bianca.

Pia, on the other hand, was more than happy to meet up with me. It had been more than a week since the confrontation in the hallway. We clearly missed eachother but decided that having a double date would be better, especially since I was still feeling a little uneasy with everything that had happened.

"Geez, this isn't your typical 70's style bowling center?" I said, entering a loud and dim lighted bowling alley.

The bowling aisles were lit with neon colors of pink and green. All the seats were black leather and in a circular formation to divide each aisle and create more privacy for parties. The sports bar was filled with noisy men who held beer bottles in each hand.

"There they are," Elijah said, pointing to Pia and Felix who were waving towards us.

Pia jumped up and down as she watched me approach her. I gave her a long, tight hug. I had missed her, there was no denying it. I lifted my hand up and gave Felix a small acknowledgment. He bobbed his head and smirked. Elijah did a questionable handshake with Felix. It was one of few youthful things Elijah did, but I enjoyed seeing him being not so professional.

"I missed you," Pia said, with a disheartened expression on her face. "The apartment feels empty without you."

"I missed you too...I guess," I responded playfully.

"Oh whatever," Pia said, rolling her eyes. "So everything is on me, we can play as many games as we want. Should we do girl vs boys, or couple vs couple?"

"If Elijah and I partnered up, you two younglings wouldn't have a chance of winning," Felix bragged.

"Ah but Elijah would purposely lose so Morena could win," Pia said. "Because he's a sweet boyfriend and wants to make his girlfriend feel good."

"How does me pretending to lose help you in life? I need to show you how tough the real world is, babe."

"Girls vs girls," I settled, hoping to stop their little back and forth. "Don't go easy on me, Elijah."

He clicked his tongue and winked. "You got it, baby."

"We should make a bet! To make it interesting," Pia suggested. "Guys invite us girls to a spa retreat over the break? Their treat."

Felix threw himself back on the leather couch. "She knows how to spend money. What do we get if we win?"

"We'll treat you guys to a Brazilian steak house."

"That's not bad at all," Elijah said. "I can do that."

"No, another bet. That's where I wanted to take you for your birthday dinner," Felix informed.

"Birthday dinner?" I asked. "Your birthday is coming up, Elijah?"

Elijah glared at Felix who feigned an apologetic smile. "My bad."

"You didn't want to tell me?"

"Its not a big deal, baby. Its another ordinary day."

"Bro, no it's not. Its Christmas and your birthday."

"I'm going to choke you," Elijah mouthed. Felix didn't care at that point. He had a smug look on his face. He wanted me to know that Elijah's birthday was nearby.

"You were born on Christmas," I mused.

"Like Jesus," Felix added. "He's pretty saintly like him too."