Chapter Sixteen

I gripped onto the strap of my backpack as I ran down the street. A cab had pulled over to the side to drop off a couple by a restaurant. As you vacated the taxi, I slid inside and let out a deep sigh. I looked out the window and noticed a black jeep Cherokee speeding over the limit and pedestrians flipping off the car. It had to be Elijah and I had barely missed him.

"Where to young lady?" Ask the cab driver.

"Amtrak train station, please," I informed.

"Visiting family for the winter break?" He asked, trying to polite and make conversation.

I pressed my head on the window and watched the sky be filled with snow clouds. "You can say that."

I had no concrete plans except to get to the train station. The only person I could run to was my abuela in New Jersey. She lived around Princeton, but I couldn't stay with her. She would tell my mom about my whereabouts and that could lead to an ambush from Elijah. He was the last person I wanted to see. I just wanted to be away from him and everyone else for a while.

***

The town of Princeton had a suburban feel yet had glorious architecture from its previous ownership. Although it was a cloudy, cold day, the town was still buzzing with people. I had wandered around Palmer square, hoping to feel some sort of comfort from the busy shops and restaurant.

I wanted to go see my abuela, but I couldn't risk blowing my cover. I decided that being around the same town as her could help settle the lonely feeling that resided in me. As I was slowly walking around for thirty minutes, every part of me become numb except for my emotions.

I wrapped my scarf tighter around my neck to brace for the strong winds that were picking up. It was significantly darker than when I first arrived. I aimlessly walked around for another ten minutes until I stumbled upon a boisterous restaurant.

I looked into the gold framed windows and found a musician grazing his fingers along his instrument, a saxophone. His lips were wrapped tightly around the mouth and he stumped his foot with great force. A beautiful blond woman stretched out her long arm to her audience and closed her eyes in a painful manner. I placed my fingertips on the window and could feel the powerful vibration of the music.

"Hey kid, no loitering," a bald man yelled as he peeked his head out of the restaurant. "Get in or go."

Flustered, I brushed past him as I made my way into the building. The restaurant reminded me of a modern jazz club. It had beautiful ebony tables, chairs, and booths with cream like velvet seats. The windows were adorn by red shades and gold trimmed ropes. The bar was gold and marbled with a young tuxedoed bar tender who worked his hands like magic. Well dressed men and women were sipping on their novel cocktails and feasting on their fancy dishes as they admired the performance.

So I cry, I beg and I pray
Love me, love me, say that you love me
Fool me, fool me
Go on and fool me
Love me, love me
Pretend that you love me

The music swelled and the tone of it hit me with great force. The melody produced by the singer and the musicians spoke to me and told me about all the heart break that they have endured. Her voice rose again as she hit the bridge of the song, her voice amplified the sorrows that I was feeling, but I didnt mind. I felt like I was being understood and comforted.

I dont care about anything but you...

The musicians fade out the music and the audience erupted into claps and whistles. The bashful singer bowed and broke into a grand smile, she loved the attention. She loved being able to make people feel what she wanted us to feel. She was a magician.