Chapter Thirty-Four

"Estoy aqui por mi hija," my mom shouted as she stormed into the house.

"Leonora?" My father whispered, slowing shutting the door. "I wasn't expecting you."

She completely disregarded my dad and walked towards me to grab my arm. "Nos vamos," she ordered.

"You came all this way to get me?" I asked, amazed by her efforts. She never went to look for me after I was kicked out of the house so this was a shock. She must've really despised my dad or thought he was no good.

"Si," she said. "Vamonos."

I never expected to have to choose between my dad or mom. All my life I only had to consider the feeling of one parent or hear the lectures of one parent, now I had both of my parents in the house. They were both going to fight for me and I couldn't help but smirk.

"Por qué sonríes?" She snapped. She didn't see this as a game and didn't appreciate the entertainment I got out of this situation.

Dad walked up to us and gingerly placed his hand on my mom's arm. "Can we please talk? In English, preferably."

My mom looked down at her arm and stared at my dad's hand as if it diseased. "Don't touch me," she said, slapping his hand away. "Let's go, Morena."

I had already planned to leave for the night and go to Elijah, but that was before I had a pleasant interaction with my dad. I stood in between like a lost deer, not know what to say or do.

"Leonora, you're frightening her," dad noticed. "Can we sit down and talk? All of us, for Morena's sake." Dad turned to the butler who had been standing by the archway. "Mel, could you make us some tea, please?"

"Yes, sir," he obeyed and walked away.

"I'm not staying for tea. I'm here to take Morena home. She hasn't had a father in 15 years, she doesn't need one now." She grabbed my arm once again but this time I pulled back.

"I think you should hear dad out. As to why he left us..."

"He was a coward, there's nothing more to the story."

"That's not true," I defended.

My dad put his hand up and nodded. "I was a coward, but I want my family back." He looked desperate for my mother's time and attention. This had to be his first time being so vulnerable because his back was no longer straightened.

My mom gave my dad a once over and scoffed. "I'll give you two mins. She sat on one of the couches with her legs crossed and my dad sat on the opposing couch. I sat a seat away from my mom. Mel made a timely appearance with a silver tray that consisted of tea cups, sugar cubes, a kettle and an assortment of teas.

"Do you still drink lavender tea with one cube of sugar?" Dad asked, preparing our tea.

"No sugar, I'm watching my weight."

"Why?" He sounded upset. "You look beautiful."

My mom was extremely young compared to other parents. She was 39, barely had a wrinkle, and considerably fit for someone who didn't lift anything. The superficial make over that she gave herself with Nicholas' money only helped her look younger and more confident.

My mom rolled her eyes.

Dad dropped the cube of sugar into the tea and handed it to her. My mom looked at the tea cup and side eyed my dad but proceeded to drink the tea. "Well, talk."

He went on to explain his reason for leaving us. Mom didn't looked too moved by his story. She had many years to sulk and numb herself to the betrayal. I didn't blame her and had he remained vacant for another few years, I would have been im her same shoes.