Chapter Twenty-Six

I awoke sprawled across the bed naked with Elijah and the bedsheets tangled around me. I glanced over to look at the time, it was seven in the evening. I had slept for four hours and I could've gone for more but I didn't want to spend my first day back with Elijah asleep. I peeked over to Elijah, who was still fast asleep. I swept his wavy hair from his face and admired him in his peaceful state.

His face twitched from my gentle strokes. He slowly opened his eyes and watched me with a sweet expression.

"Hey beautiful," he greeted softly.

"Hey handsome," I responded, leaning over to kiss his lips.

Elijah stretched his arm and offered it to me. I cuddled next to him and traced circles on his chest as he grazed my arm with his fingers. "It feels so good to touch you."

"I missed your touches," I admitted.

He turned his head towards my direction and watched me with wistful eyes. We were together yet there was an aura of sadness around us. The more I looked at him, the stronger the urge I had to cry. In the process of hurting him, I had ultimately hurt myself the most. I had neglected myself of the love I had truly deserved.

"What's on your mind, baby?" He whispered.

"I don't think I can forgive myself for hurting you or myself. I'm so stupid," I cried, choking on a hot sob of regret. "I wish I could take it all back. I wish I never came here. I've been through so much shit... you don't even understand." I buried my face into him and continued to cry it all out.

Elijah chest raised up and he was at a loss of words. He held me closer, rubbing me and kissing my head. "Talk to Morena, please. Did someone hurt you?"

I held my breath as I thought about Elliot climbing on top of me. I shook my head neurotically and began to hyperventilate. Elijah sat up and cupped my face, bringing his face closer to mine. "When?"

"I don't want to talk about it," I cried. I looked down, trying to avoid his eyes. I was consumed by guilt. I knew I shouldn't have danced with Elliot and had I not done so, I would've had one less traumatizing experience in Princeton.

"Morena," Elijah begged.

I couldn't give him what the answers he desired. He pulled back and turned his head to look out the window. His eyes moved side to side frantically and it was clear that his mind was racing with possibilities. Elijah was too protective and involved to let my trauma go.

"It was last night, wasn't it? With that brown haired guy?"

I gasped and watched him string all the piece together. "H-how..."

"I waited for you, Morena. I saw you dancing with your friends. I didn't interrupt because you actually looked happy and I didn't want to spook you. You headed out after talking to Arturo and I followed behind you. By the time I went outside, you were gone and that guy never came back inside."

Elijah looked deep into my eyes, seeking confirmation. I lightly bit down on my lip and tore our gaze. He flailed the bed sheets away and stood up, grabbing his pants and shirt.

"Elijah? Elijah! Where are you going?"

His breath was ragged and he was fixated on leaving, but I catapulted out of the bed half naked to stop him. I wrapped my arm around him as he took a step towards the door.

"Please, don't leave me," I pleaded. "Just let it go."

He snapped his head and glared at me as I was an idiot. "Let it go? No, I can't do that. How? Tell me, how?" His dark blue eyes were filled with panic and frustration.