Chapter Fourteen

Dr. Vicky returned from her phone call with a smile on her face.

"Mr. Christensen should be here soon." She picked up her iPad and slid into her purse.

"I have other patients to tend to but let me know if you need my assistance again."

"Thank you," I mumbled. All I really wanted to do is yell at her at the top of my lungs. I couldn't met her gaze and allowed her to walk herself out.

I sat on the couch as I vacantly stared out the window. Tall buildings and the gloomy sky were all that was in my view. I had my arms curled around my stomach as I questioned everything that has happened since the accident.

The front door hurried open and Elijah quickly made himself visible. I could see him watching me as I had my eyes bored to the windows, aimlessly staring at nothing.

"I tried getting her as fast I could. I should have everything you need." I heard the plastic bag open. "Your medication, ice cream, heating pads, water with electrolytes, more tampons."

If I wasn't in such a state of shock I'd be jumping up and down from having such an attentive boyfriend. Instead, I couldn't respond. My throat felt as it had been stuffed with large rocks, hindering my ability to talk and even breathe.

"Morena," he called, alarm. He slid next time me and placed his hand onto my back. "Are you okay? Talk to me?"

Deadly silence filled the space between us. No amount of back rubs, talking, or calling of my name could snap me out of my shock.

Except when Elijah said, "Baby, what is wrong?"

The term kicked started my brain and body. "Everything," I whispered as I slowly turned my neck to look at him.

"What? What are you talking about?" He watched me with concerned and pain filled eyes.

I didn't know how to ask Elijah if he knew about the miscarriage. I wanted to start off by warning him about having a corrupt doctor, but by the look on his face, he knew something about it. This wouldn't be there first time Elijah withheld information from me.

"Did you know, Elijah? Or had you been deceived?"

He straightened his posture and narrowed his eyes as he tried to decipher my question and respond accordingly. "What are you talking about, Morena?"

I rolled my eyes and scoffed at him.

"Hey, don't act like that," he warned. "Don't get upset with me if you can't communicate effectively."

My hand twitched from the need to slap him. He was getting defensive quickly and it gave me further proof that he knew about the miscarriage.

"For fucks sake, just be honest," I said, jumping off the couch and looking down at him. I wrapped my arms around my stomach and began to tear up. "Elijah, I feel like I'm going to explode so please just... just tell me the truth. Don't torture me any longer."

He noticed where my arms were wrapped and his eyes lingered a little top long for his liking. His eyes flicked up to meet mine. He opened his mouth, but before he could say his peace, I warned him again. "The truth, Elijah."

"I don't know what you're talking about, Morena." He uttered those words without looking away. He was lying straight to my face and didn't seem affected at all.

I exhaled deeply and lunged towards him. I straddled him and balled his button up shirt into my fists. I pulled and attempted to shake him, but more damage was done to the shirt. "Tell me the truth, Elijah! You fucking knew! You knew!" I cried.