Chapter Twenty

I walked into the restaurant in a deafeted mood. It was Christmas day, a day supposed to be filled with unity, laughter, appreciation and love. It was also Elijah's birthday. I walked past the exuberant crowd of diners with sadness. Not even the talented singer could put a smile on my face.

"Merry Christmas!" Art shouted as he popped out of no where.

I jumped back and placed my hand over my chest. "Geez..."

He bent over and endlessly laughed as he recalled my scared expression. I crossed my arms and stared him down. "Not cool."

He pulled out a small bracelet from his pants and grabbed my wrist. "I'm sorry, but I hope this can help you forgive me."

"Art, you shouldn't have done this. I didn't get you anything."

He rolled his eyes. "It's okay, really."

I looked down at my wrist and admired the blue and white embroidered bracelet.

"You're representing Argentina," he said, proudly.

"But my mom is from Ecuador," I corrected.

"But Argentina is better," he quipped with a smug look on his face. "Only because I'm from there," he continued.

I playfully punched his arm and he instantly cupped his hand on mine. His hand traveled up my arm and he brought me into a tight embrace. "Merry Christmas, doe."

"Merry Christmas," I exhaled.

Art extended his arms out and watched my troubled expression. "What's wrong?"

I shook my head. "Can I use your phone to make a call?"

"Sure," he said, pulling it out of his pants. "Still baffles me you don't have a phone."

I rolled my eyes and walked towards the corner of the restaurant with his phone in my hand. I started dialing the familiar numbers and was hesitant about pushing the call button.

I closed my eyes and pressed on it. It rang for what felt like an eternity. Amongst the last rings, the line was connected.

"Hello?" He answered, cautiously.

"Hey X," I whispered.

I could hear a sudden shifting and then Xavier began to speak louder. "What the hell?! Mo! Are you okay? Where are you?" He continued bombarding me question after question. My heart ached from the pain I was putting my friend in. I could only imagine the worry and guilt Elijah was going through.

"I'm fine," I answered simply. "I'm doing okay."

"Just okay? Where are you? Why are calling from an unknown number?"

"X, relax. Please."

"Elijah has been on the clock contacting me, asking me if I've spoken to you. That man is going insane, Mo. I'm going crazy!"

I grabbed my hair in a bunch and groaned in pain. "Xavier, please, stop."

"I've been worried like hell about you too. You could've died and we would've had no idea. Did that come across your mind?" He sounded more aggressive and I didn't blame him. I'm just as mad at myself for leaving, but the pain of losing friends and lover was too much for me to handle.

"I had lost everything in DC. You and I didn't speak. Pia betrayed me with my own mother. Elijah lied to me."

"I know. He told me about it. No words could describe the guilty and pain he is consumed in. You need to see how miserable he is to truly understand his state of mind."