Chapter Twenty-Three

The restaurant was loud and busy, especially considering it was the day after Christmas. There were groups of couples and friends dressed in their high class apparel waiting for a table to be vacant. Once a table was cleared, it was cleaned up and quickly filled with guests.

I had been on my feet for about four hours before the rush started to calm down. I finally had the chance to talk to Bailey about going to the club after work. Elijah and I agreed on meeting at the White Dove around midnight to meet for the first in what felt like an eternity.

To be completely honest, I wasn't ready to meet him but it was time to hear him out completely. The distractions I once relied on were slowing dwindling and I needed to come to terms with reality.

As Bailey wiped down a table, I walked beside her and placed my hands on her arm. "Got a minute?" I said, looking at her.

"What's up?"

"We're getting out in an hour. Do you want to hit the club after? Maybe go to White Dove?" I gave her a nervous smkle. She didn't know me enough to decode it and translate it to what it really was, a desperate plead for help.

"Of course! We can get ready at my place and call some people up."

"Fantastic," I squealed in relief but it must have came across as excitement due to Bailey's exaggerated smile.

The rest of my work shift was filled with butterflies in my stomach and how I would react once I saw Elijah. Would I be so taken aback by his manliness and want to jump his bones? Would he want us to take it slow and go on a walk to talk about our separated days? Would we go back to square one?

All these thoughts filled my head and made my heart ache. I had been so fixated on my meeting with Elijah that I kept vigorously scrubbing the same spot on the table.

"It's pretty clean," Art commented, placing his hand over mine to stop by excessive behavior.

I snatched my hand away and gave him the cold shoulder. I moved over to clean the remaining tables. He slowly walked behind me with an apologetic look on his face.

"Doe --"

I glared at him, warning him to correct himself. I never understood his nickname for me.

He cleared his throat as he rolled his eyes. "Morena, I'm really sorry for earlier today. After you left, I made it clear to everyone that nothing happened between us. I shouldn't have acted like that."

"Thanks for the apology," I muttered and attempted to walk away but Art had grabbed my hand and pulled me into him. He wrapped his arms around my waist, bringing me closer to his hard chest.

Haley, who was singing her last song, looked at me with amused smile on her face. She continued singing her sultry love song, making sure to direct her hand movements towards us. My cheeks were heated with embarrassment and I attempted to push Art away.

"Stop fighting me... about this," Art pleaded. "The song is almost over."

I rolled my eyes and in the process, noticed Monsieur leaning against the wall with a bald man. They were deep in conversation yet his eyes fixated on mine for a second too long. I placed my hand on Arturo's chest and pushed him away. He flailed his hands up in annoyance but I moved to the other side of the restaurant to avoid hearing him rant.

Art headed towards my direction but Monsieur tapped his walking stick to get his attention. Art tilted his head with a displeased expression which Monsieur noticed. Monsieur waved his long finger, signaling Art to talk to him.

I started to excessively clean another table as I watched Monsieur lecture him. Art balled his hands into tight fists before turning his back to our boss and headed towards the back.