Chapter Thirty-Three

Elijah pulled up by the curb and lowered the window, revealing his new black sunglasses. "Ready, baby?"

"I like the glasses," I said, slipping in the passenger seat and leaning over to give him a kiss.

"I thought I should look the part of a security guard."

I turned the seat warmer on and made myself comfortable for the three hour drive. "You should stay at the house. What can he do if you're there?"

Elijah narrowed his eyes and smirked. "Besides kicking me out and possibly worsening the situation if he does plan on kidnapping you?"

"I mean, besides the obvious..."

"I'll be ten minutes away. Five if I floor it," he assured, placing his hand on my knee.

"That helps," I sighed.

I didn't expect to get nervous about seeing my dad. I had functioned perfectly fine the last time I stayed in Princeton but being aware of his role in my life changed the dyanmic. I shifted around in my seat, wondering what his reaction would be to seeing me.

I played a few scenarios in my head and unknowingly, played out many possible reactions.

"Is that the I-should-slap-you-not-hug-you reaction?" Elijah asked, entertained by my performances.

"Ugh, I don't know," I sighed.

"It'll be okay," he said. "I'll be there for you. I won't let anything happen to you."

I nodded and held his hand the rest of the ride there. I took a brief nap before arriving at the mansion to ease my nerves. We drove up the arched shaped cobblestone driveway. There was a goon out front, it looked like Andre along side a stinky old man in a formal suit.

The house we saw online with the address didn't do the colossal building any justice. It was a grey-bricked mansion protected by large hedges and an iron gate. At a distance, I saw the old man wave his hand up and the gates allowed us entrance.

Elijah parked by the front doors and the old man stepped down to open the door. "Miss Noel," he greeted.

"Hello," I whispered, looking at Elijah.

He gave a small nod and popped the trunk of the car open. The old man who I had suspected to be a butler or house manager, grabbed the duffel bag from the back and proceeded to lead the way. Elijah drove away and I suddenly felt unsafe.

"Morena," Andre smiled. "It's nice seeing you again."

"Yeah, same," I groaned, walking past him. My last vivid memory of him was when he slammed his hand into Art's abdomen. The further I walked towards the entrance, the more I realized I had made a grave mistake.

The butler opened the grand wooden doors, revealing a rusitc modern interior design. The walls were a cream color with a dark brown panel to give it contrast. I saw a masive brick fireplace and could feel the warmth it radiated from a distance away.

"Mr. Noel should be in the living room. You may enter," he said, gesturing me to continue walking.

I slowly walked into the living room with the fireplace and found my dad sitting at the edge of the couch, staring intently at the flames of the fire. It seemed like nothing else mattered to him.

"Hi," I spoke, placing my hand on one of the couches.

"Morena," he rejoiced. "I'm glad you arrived safely."

He looked nothing like the man I saw at the restaurant. That man wore a tailored fit suit with a cane and promenade with confidence. The man that stood in front of me wore jeans, an untucked white tshirt, and was barefooted. I was certainly not expecting the relaxed version of my dad.