Chapter 10

You realized when you got out of the shower that while you were feeling much better, you were going to need help rewrapping the bandages. You knew how bad the damage had been when you still needed to cover some of the wounds two days later. Loki hadn't been kidding.

So you slipped back out of the bathroom in a robe. "Um, Lokitty, would you mind-?" you started, but he was already sitting on your bed with an impressive-looking first aid kit next to him.

He rolled his eyes and gestured to the bed. "Who do you think bandaged you last time?" he asked.

"Um...Nat, or one of the medics?" you replied with a smirk. He huffed and his tail puffed up indignantly, making you laugh as you settled on your bed.

"While I may not be a strong magical healer, I have spent plenty of time helping Mother in the healing wing. A thousand years of experience have left me far more capable than those mortal medics," he grumbled while you stripped off your robe so he could deal with the open wound on your side. You flushed that you were sitting on you bed in nothing but your underwear and a bra (which you had summoned a nice pair of when you realized that Loki was probably going to see them). He didn't comment on your clothes, but got to work with such professionalism that you knew he hadn't been lying about his experience. After he got the wound on your side, the gash along the back of your right arm, and a few other small injuries dealt with, he knelt beside the bed to get the best angle to rewrap your swollen ankle.

"I can get that one," you told him. He looked up at you, rolled his eyes, and got back to doing it himself. Apparently he wanted to make sure it was done correctly, though you were perfectly capable. When he was finished, you summoned pajamas for yourself and then leaned down to kiss the perfect spot between the cat-ears on his head. "Thank you,"

"It is the least I could do," he replied formally, as he stood you saw his slight flush at the friendly familiar kiss on the head. Oops. You hadn't meant to embarrass him.

"I have to go face the others," you whined at him as you levered yourself off of the bed. It took more effort than you wanted to admit. "Cap's going to lecture," you pouted, jovially trying to ease Loki's tension. He was automatically at your side steadying you, you shot him a grateful look.

He chuckled. "Best get it over with then. Maybe that will finally take their attention off of me," he added with a smirk. You stuck your tongue out at him in reply. He offered you his arm in escort. You smiled at the old fashioned gesture and placed your hand on his arm. He escorted you to the living room and didn't comment about how you used him as a crutch and leaned too heavily on him, nor did he complain about the slow pace. Instead he told embarrassing stories about the Avengers from his months here as a cat spying on them and making you laugh.

"Y/N!" your friends called when you and Loki got off the elevator. They all rushed over to greet you and make sure you were ok. You held on tightly to Loki's arm partially so he didn't run away, which he clearly wanted to based on how fast his tail was flicking, partially for balance, and partially because the concern of the team was overwhelming. They weren't used to you being injured. Clint, yes, you? not so much.

"Come, little witch, let's get you off of that ankle," Loki finally said, saving you both.

"Med room first," you told him. He inclined his head without argument and escorted you there. You cursed Stark for designing this room for tall people.

Loki chuckled when he saw you trying to stand on your toes to look through the potion cabinet. You glared over at him. Annoying cat. Suddenly there were hands on your waist, you were briefly in the air, and then standing... on air about a foot above the ground. Loki was smirking mischievously behind you from where he'd lifted you. You turned and kissed the top of his head. "Thanks, silly ball of mischief," he chuckled and you turned back to the potions in the cabinet. You finally found the ones you needed.

Loki gave you a look when he saw them. "Should you really take both of those at the same time?" he asked as you stepped down from his standing on air spell.

You rolled your eyes. "Will someone around here please trust that the witch knows about potions?" you grumbled. "Mortals should not take more than one healing potion at the same time. I'm not a mortal and I made these potions, they're perfectly safe to take together," you reminded him.

He nodded and offered you his arm again. "Very well. I had to express concern. It is rarely a good idea to mix potions," he reminded you kindly.

"Professional opinion only of course," you replied with a smile.

"Of course," he smirked. "Not at all because I care for you, little sorceress," he teased.

"Of course," you replied and let him settle you on the couch under a throw blanket with a cup of hot tea, into which you dumped both potions to the immense concern of the group. You laughed at their reaction. "Guys, they're just healing potions. I did get blown up two days ago," you reminded them as you sipped on your spiked tea.

Cap then turned the footage of the battle on the TV. The news had apparently loved the little black cat saving all the children. They had also focused on the explosion that had taken you out. It was a very impressive explosion and the look of sorrow on your face when you had saved Loki when you couldn't save yourself was heartbreaking. You watched Loki break the shield, kneel protectively over your battered body and destroy the entire battle. There weren't words to convey the rage in his eyes, the pain and heartbreak in his expression as he fought to keep you alive.

"What was I supposed to do, Cap?" you asked, trying to keep the exhaustion from your voice. Damn, the potions were kicking in faster than you'd expected. "I couldn't save us both, my magic was basically tapped, everyone in the team and my broom were too far away. I thought through the options. There were none," you informed him firmly. He spluttered, but couldn't argue your logic. You continued sipping on your tea, listening to the team catch you up on the past couple of days.

"So why does Reindeer Games still have cat-ears?" Tony asked. Loki huffed grumpily and refused to look at anyone, embarrassed and adorably pouting.

"I told you already that I cannot get rid of them," he growled, hissing softly. You reached up automatically to scratch behind his ear.

"Stop that," you told him, just as automatically. He stuck his tongue out at you.

"Does she realize he's not a cat?" Clint asked. Nat slapped the back of his head.

"Yes, you moron. Let them flirt in peace," she growled.

"We're not flirting!" you and Loki both protested at the same time. Thor boomed his laughter with Clint and Nat.

"You should be able to make them go away eventually. Unfortunately, it's a side effect of staying in animal form for so long," you told Loki while everyone else laughed. Tony and Cap seemed to be listening to you, though. Loki grumbled, but agreed with your assessment of the situation.

Loki took the teacup from your hands when he saw that it was swaying precariously. "I did suggest that you not mix healing potions," he told you warmly.

"A nap is a small price to pay to get rid of the bandages," you told him. Somehow, through absolutely no fault of your own, you ended up dozing with your head on his chest. Before you fell asleep, he had covered you with the throw blanket on the back of the couch and wrapped an arm around you. You fell asleep listening to his chest rumble in purrs a soft smile on your lips that he hadn't lost that cat quirk either.