Chapter 48

"We have to do something," you insisted when Frigga paused again. "I can't keep these compulsions spells inked in my skin. If any of the witch hunters survived Sera's purge they could activate them at any moment and I can't be prepared 24/7," at least you couldn't without a strong familiar. You'd grown accustomed to having Sera around. Of course a dragon could hold the protection spells around you. Without a familiar, you would have to hold the protection spells on yourself, which would take a constant drain of power.

"There is a path, though it's dangerous and there's no guarantee," Frigga repeated, stressing the danger of whatever she was going to tell you.

"Mother, please. We will, no I will do anything to remove those compulsion spells from my lady. It is far too dangerous to leave them in place. If any of those people survived, they could activate them and I will not leave my lady so vulnerable," he said firmly. He wouldn't leave you vulnerable. He wouldn't leave you marked by evil, etched with dangerous magics.

Frigga nods. "Very well, darlings. There is a man in the realm, a dangerous man, mind. He specializes in curses. In fact, he buys and sells them. I don't condone of his practices, but he is the only one I can think of who would be able to remove those spells from your lady's skin. It is his speciality,"

Loki sighed in relief. "Where is this man?" he asked her, his tone nearly demanding except that he remembered at the last moment that this was not only his queen, but his mother and she wouldn't stand for such insolence from her son, no matter the reason.

"North of here, about a day's ride. He lives at the edge of the forest of sorrows," Frigga replied reluctantly. Much as she didn't want to send the two of you to this man, she also knew Loki wouldn't give up until he found out about him on his own. If she told him about the man, then he could go more safely to meet him. "He is only known as Curse-broker,"

"Thank you, mother," Loki said and started to stand, impatient to help you. Frigga had given him enough information for the two of you to head out to find this curse broker and get the spells lifted off your skin.

"I'm not finished," Frigga snapped, the words and tone of a queen who expected to be obeyed. Loki stiffened, then took his seat again. He wasn't stupid enough to disobey that tone coming from his mother.

"I apologize, mother, continue, please," Loki said, abashed. You could hear the impatience in his tone and knew Frigga would be able to as well, but she pretended not to notice since he had done what was asked of him. She could understand his emotions and concern over you and she understood how much he wanted the spells removed from you.

"This man has the ability to remove those spells from your lady's skin, but he will not do it for free. You will have to offer him something he desires in return," Frigga informed Loki.

"What would he want in return?" you asked her, your voice soft and careful. This whole thing sounded dangerous, but you knew it was necessary.

"A spell for him to sell," Frigga replied. "A spell attached to an amulet, or parchment, something a non-magical person can use," she clarified. You nodded. That made sense and it was logical that he wanted something in return for his troubles.

"What kind of spell?" Loki asked warily. You could both create such a thing easily, but he was right. There were spells you wouldn't want people without honor to have access too and there was no telling who this man would sell to.

Frigga shook her head. "That, I do not know. It will depend on his mood and what he needs for his stock. However, you can take one of the amulets from the supplies here to attach the spell to. I'm sure you two can create something to appease him," she added. You could hear the certainty in her words.

Loki stood and Frigga didn't stop him this time. "Thank you, mother. We will head out as soon as we make our preparations," you stood with him and nodded your agreement.

"Take your brother and Sif with you," she told you before you left.

Loki gave her a confused look, even as he bent to kiss her cheek. "Thor, I understand, you always insist he come along on these kinds of quests," he said, sounding put upon that Thor always accompanied him on such missions. One would think it wouldn't make sense to send both princes together out onto dangerous missions, but Asgardians were all warriors and the princes needed to prove themselves to their people as capable warriors. As capable leaders and rulers. One day, one of them would take the throne, whichever was the more worthy of it. "But why Lady Sif?" Sometimes Frigga insisted on the warriors three and Sif, but never Sif alone.

"Because I wish for your brother to realize he has feelings for her and this is a good excuse. Besides, Sif can room with Y/N while you are on your trip. Even you cannot teleport so far," Frigga reminded him.

Loki chuckled. "Playing matchmaker again, Mother?" he asked her warmly through his laughter. "You know Thor is never going to acknowledge his feelings for Sif,"

Frigga laughed at that. "It is always worth a try," she said with a mischievous glint in her eye. It was nice to see where Loki got his mischief from. "You should go make your preparations and inform your brother and Sif that they are coming with you," she told Loki warmly.

He smiled. "Yes, Mother. And I will inform you as to how your matchmaking works out," he added with a smirk and offered you his arm.

You nodded to Frigga politely. "Thank you for your help, Allmother," you told her warmly, hopeful now that you had a chance at getting the mark and the spells off of your skin.

"No need to be so formal, darling," she told you warmly before you and Loki left.

You went to tell Thor that you'd be leaving in the morning on a quest. He agreed without question. When you got back to Loki's chambers to relax before dinner, he shifted to cat form and curled up in your lap while you read on the balcony. You petted him while you read and he purred. "I don't need a new familiar," you insisted to him, knowing he was doing this to act as a surrogate familiar until you sucked it up and found a new one. He shifted in your lap and returned to purring, ignoring what you said.

Annoying cat acting just like every other cat in creation.

And you loved him dearly anyway. Just like any other cat.