Chapter 30

You paused outside the palace and used a bit of magic to make sure your dress and shoes were free of dust from your outing. You did the same for Sif and she led you to the queen's parlor. Sif knocked on the parlor door politely and Frigga opened it an instant later. "Hello darlings, come in!" she bid you both warmly and stepped back from the door to let you in.

"Allmother," Sif greeted her politely and you copied the greeting. You stepped inside the parlor and saw that there was a table and chairs set up already for lunch. You joined Frigga and Sif there nervously, but soon relaxed at Frigga's open caring manner. She really just wanted to get to know the girl Loki was courting and had invited Sif along as a buffer. She was too observant and knowing and knew you'd be nervous.

"So, did you find anything interesting in the markets?" Frigga asked after Sif told her that's where you'd been that morning.

"I found a Yule present for Thor, finally. Thanks to Y/N," Sif announced.

Frigga smiled at her warmly. "Great news! I know you've been stressing about what to get him. He can be difficult to shop for," Frigga commiserated warmly. "That was the last of your Yule shopping too, right?" Sif nodded. Frigga turned to you. "Do they still celebrate Yule on Midgard?"

"Some do. Most celebrate a christian holiday instead now," you tried to explain, and then had to go into more detail about Christmas for the Asgardians.

"Did you find any Yule gifts?"

You shook your head. "I... actually handmake all of my Yule presents. It's an old tradition," you explained a little embarrassed at the inexpensive old tradition.

Frigga looked impressed instead. "That's a sweet tradition," she told you instead of looking down on it. The tradition had come when you hadn't had much money, so it was still a little embarrasing now. "It's much more meaningful when a gift comes from the heart," she added approvingly. "Did you find anything in our markets that striked your fancy?"

Sif laughed. "Loki threatened her with my bodily harm if she didn't purchase something for herself," she informed the queen, who just smiled knowingly. Of course Loki wanted to spoil you and of course he would make sure it was done if he couldn't be there to do it himself.

"And what did you choose for my son to spoil you with?" she asked you knowingly. You raised your hand to show her the handflower and the black jewel there. Her eyes widened when she saw it. "A jewel chose you?" she asked shocked.

"So it appears. I've heard of the focus jewels, but they are extremely rare on Midgard, so I don't really know much about them except that they're a reservoir of power..." you admitted. You were surprised by how shocked the queen seemed to be that it had chosen you.

"They aren't rare here, but they only choose the strongest mages to attach themselves to, especially a jewel like that one. I didn't even know that they had even chosen Midgardians to attach themselves to. I'll have the relevant texts sent to your suite so you can review them," Frigga told you and you nodded and thanked her. That would be helpful indeed. You really didn't know much about them.

"She also bought a gift for Loki," Sif teased. You glared at her across the table and stuck your tongue out.

"Of course she did," Frigga replied warmly, amused by your antics and seeming pleased by your friendship with Sif.

Before she could ask what it was, Loki teleported into the room. He looked around surprised and went to kiss Frigga's cheek. "My apologies, Mother. I was finished with my business with Father and came to see my lady. I did not realize you ladies were having lunch," he came over to kiss your cheek. "Enjoy your lunch, darling. I'll see you later," he bid you warmly and disappeared again after a quick farewell to Sif and his mother and another apology for interrupting. You smirked at the place he'd been. Silly Lokitty. You enjoyed the rest of your lunch with Frigga and Sif and were not at all surprised that it ended with tea and chocolate cake. She walked you both to the door of her parlor and thanked you for spending lunch with her.