Chapter 16

"Thor, you said someone broke into the tower last night?" you asked while the team all sat around the coffee table in your pajamas drinking hot chocolate. It was the perfect post-battle activity. It didn't matter that it was early afternoon.

"Yes, nothing to worry about. Captain Rogers apprehended him," Thor told you.

"What'd he want?" you asked.

Cap shrugged. "He was just a drunk who got confused. Don't know how he drunkenly tricked Jarvis into letting him up here." Guests last night at the party were only supposed to be able to access the floor with the ballroom.

Loki's head whipped over to Cap and he glared, hissing softly, his tail puffed up in anger. "You're lying," he accused, his voice a snarl. Cap looked taken aback.

"Lokitty," you said softly. Cap didn't lie. He was Cap. It was like Thor lying. It just didn't happen. You touched Loki's hand, calming, reassuring. He pulled his hand from your grip and wrapped his arm around your shoulders, pulling you possessively, defensively, to him.

"I am the god of lies," he reminded Cap and the entire team since they were all here. They'd gotten too used to your Lokitty, the happy, if reserved. They forgot about his possessive side, his quick temper, especially if he thought something he cared about was in danger. Thor had also warned the team when you weren't supposed to be able to hear him and when Loki was upstairs picking out new books from the library, that his brother's temper would be sharper until you had accepted or rejected his courtship. A lot was hinging on this date.

Cap sighed heavily. "We don't know what he was after, really. He's still being questioned. All he has said so far is that he wanted to see Y/N," he finally admitted. "We thought it best not to worry you over an isolated incident, especially with the culprit detained," Loki's arm tightened around you.

"Loki, I'm fine," you reassured him. He didn't calm. You tilted your head up to kiss his cheek. "Calm down, Lokitty, I'm fine, perfectly safe," he kissed the top of your head and finally seemed to calm some when he had convinced himself that you were safe in his arms. "That's why you were so concerned this morning," you told Thor, who nodded. "You could have said something,"

"We caught the intruder and your room was so heavily shielded that I knew you were safe. I just did not realize that my brother was safe with you," Thor admitted, sheepishly. He should have checked before assuming that Loki had shirked.

"Be careful out of the tower, just in case. Stark is working on Jarvis' programming again and there's no parties here for awhile, so the tower should be perfectly safe," Cap told you. You caught the word 'should' and knew that Loki would have too. Just what you needed, your friends being overprotective.

You laughed. "How on Earth were you going to tell me to be careful without telling me the intruder had asked for me?" you demanded, still laughing at Cap's absurdity.

"You usually take Loki with you everywhere anyway, so I didn't think it would be an issue," Cap admitted sheepishly. You rolled your eyes. You were perfectly capable of taking care of yourself. "Y/N, promise you'll be careful, at least not stupid until we're sure this was an isolated incident,"

You rolled your eyes again and opened your mouth with some witty reply on the tip of your tongue when a cold hand clamped over your mouth. "She will be careful," Loki said on your behalf. You made a muffled protest behind Loki's hand. You weren't a helpless child in need of protecting. "Hush, you," he scolded, but kissed the top of your head to show he was teasing. You'd told him that quite a lot since you'd known him. You huffed. "I know you're quite the formidable witch, that doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't be careful," he told you as he finally removed his hand from your mouth.