Chapter 29

"I'm sorry I have to leave you on your own again, dearest..." Loki told you at breakfast the next morning. You'd been free from nightmares, so had woken in your own bed without a purring Loki under your head. You'd missed your purring pillow. Sera had been purring in your arms, but it wasn't quite the same as your Loki.

You reached up and touched his cheek reassuringly. "Don't be, Loki. You're a prince and have responsibilities here," you reminded him. It was hard not to call him 'Lokitty' in front of the court, but you managed.

"I know, but I can still dislike leaving you alone when today is our last day in Asgard," he reminded you sadly.

"Stop fretting, love. I'll be fine. I'll have Sera with me, everyone in the realm knows we're dating and that I'm currently in favor with the king for saving the queen's life. It'll be perfectly safe," you reminded him. "Plus I'm not a helpless maiden,"

He leaned over to kiss your cheek. "Very well, but please do me a couple of favors?" he asked. You raised an eyebrow and he continued. He touched the necklace around your neck, which you hadn't taken off since he'd given it to you. "Please don't take this off, and if you leave the palace proper, take someone with you, preferably Sif, though Hogun or Volstagg will accompany you if you ask,"

"Fine, overprotective cat," you teased. He laughed and kissed you.

"In-love cat," he corrected lightly, his lips brushing yours as he spoke. "And I protect what I love, my darling," he reminded you warmly.

"Loki, your brother said you two have work to do with the king," Sif interrupted you as she joined your table for breakfast. Thor had left already to help Odin with whatever it was he needed.

Loki inclined his head. "We do," he agreed, obviously wondering where Sif was going with this. He was interrupted by more people joining your table. Volstagg and Hogun joined you. Fandral joined a minute later, looking worse for the wear and extremely sheepish. His eye was still black and his nose was still bruised too.

He bowed deeply to you and actually dropped to one knee. "Lady, I sincerely apologize for my grevious insult upon you last night. There are no excuses for my actions, nor my rude behavior against you. I sincerely hope that you will find it in your heart to forgive me." He seemed sincerely apologetic. You glanced at Loki who nodded. Having a human-shaped lie detector was useful at times.

"I forgive you, Fandral," you replied. "Though I do hope that you will remember that I am not interested in your romantic advances," you added a little stiffly. You didn't want there to be any confusion. Thor would be upset if Loki killed his friend.

Fandral kissed the back of your hand. "You are most gracious, lady," he replied and didn't address the rest of your statement. He wasn't a moron. He stood again and turned to Loki. "My apologies. I did not mean insult upon you or your lady," he told Loki much less formally than he should have. Loki glowered, but nodded, accepting the words. He placed a hand on your arm when you were about to stand to demand Fandral show him the proper courtesy due his station.

"We don't need to pull rank on Thor's idiot friends," he told you kindly. "Besides, rank and status aren't important except during official functions. The rest of the time to them I'm merely Thor's annoying kid brother. Though Fandral will do well to remember that I protect what I love and will not suffer insults on your honor, dearest," he addressed you, but his words were a warning for Fandral, who nodded and fled to sit between Volstagg and Hogun.

"So, Y/N, did you have a plan for while Loki's working this morning?" Sif asked you pleasantly over her breakfast, ignoring the display of testosterone poisioning.