Chapter 22

Your head snapped up to see who was intruding, to see if it was a threat. Not that you were in any shape to deal with a threat...

A woman in a long elegant dress entered the room. She held a regal air about her and you had a suspicion this was the queen. "Explain yourselves," she ordered, but her voice was still gentle and kind. It was the same voice you'd heard in the healing room. Definitely the queen, since Loki had called her 'Mother' in the healing room.

Loki stood and pulled you to your feet with him. You noticed again that his cat-ears were gone, though again your brain picked an inopportune time to notice that detail. You would have to ask him about it at a better time. "Mother," he and Thor greeted the woman at the same time. Yep, definitely the queen. You were meeting the queen, in your pajamas, holding a probably illegal egg. Granted, she'd seen you unconscious and whimpering in pain, so this was at least an improvement.

Still, it wasn't the best way to meet your boyfriend's mom... You didn't think you were making a good impression... at all...

You sank into a graceful curtsy. Loki looked surprised, but didn't question it. You had grown up with curtsies as a polite greeting. "Your majesty," you murmured politely, still holding the egg. Loki wrapped an arm around you when you rose again at the queen's nod. He didn't trust you to stay on your feet without help. Wise man.

"Your majesty, your sons and this lady barged in my workshop this morning to abscond with my project," he gestured to the egg in your arms. You tightened your grip on it and took a step back. Loki's arm tightened around you, holding you safely against his side.

"I believe I have informed you already, Ingris, that experimentation on creatures is not tolerated here," she told the magician with the same icy tone that Loki had when he was upset. She questioned him further on the nature of his experiments, glowering at his answers which would have harmed your Seraphina the moment she hatched. "You are dismissed from apprenticeship here and are to leave the palace immediately. The guards will escort you. Thor, kindly see that it is done," she added warmly to Thor.

"Yes, Mother," he replied and glared at the magician.

You held the egg more closely to your chest when the queen turned her attention to you and Loki, afraid she was going to try to take it from you. "Don't be afraid, dear. I shall not harm the creature," you relaxed a little, though you were still afraid she was going to try to take it away. "Your lady should be resting, darling," she scolded Loki gently.

He inclined his head. "I am aware, Mother. However, the creature called to her to be rescued and become her companion. The need was pressing as you saw. I believe I told you that Midgardian magicians require the companionship of a magical creature for their health and well being?" he asked politely, though you knew that if he was saying he told her, then he had. There was no questions about it. She inclined her head. "It appears that this creature, whatever it is, has chosen my lady,"

She looked you over. "Then I shall leave the creature in your care. I must warn you both, that it is a creature of experimentation. If it becomes a danger..."

"Then it will be my duty as its caretaker to remove the danger," you told her softly, but firmly. You knew your duty and had a corrupted familiar once before... it was not an experience you wanted to repeat, but you would do your duty.

She inclined her head again. "Very well. Darling, get your lady back to bed. She is in no shape to be up and about after what those...men... did to her," she told Loki firmly. He grinned at you and swept you into his arms before you could protest. The queen laughed, smiling when you settled more comfortably in Loki's strong arms, your head on his shoulder, the egg held safely in your arms.