Chapter 24

"This is the family wing," Loki explained as he led you down the hallway. Your hand was on his right arm. He was taking the position to the inside of the corridor, the more 'vulnerable' position as if there were an attack, or someone not paying attention to where they were walking, he would be between you and danger. Silly overprotective Lokitty... "Odin and Mother have suites and workrooms and such a floor up. Thor lives down the hall," he gestured back the way you'd come. There were plenty of empty rooms, probably in expectation of a larger family.

Loki pointed out more landmarks of interest as he led you through the wide, airy, beautiful halls of the palace. You strolled leisurely, not in any apparent rush to reach your destination. For all the world, Loki acted a polite, maybe a little reserved, courtier.

"I still can't believe you grew up here," you commented at the literal palace you were walking through. You knew you didn't belong here. You could make yourself comfortable in almost any facet of human/witch society back home, but this was completely different. Loki was just so comfortable and comforting. He didn't seem...different, per se, this just wasn't a side of your Lokitty you saw often on Earth.

He chuckled. "I did grow up a prince, darling," he reminded you gently, kindly. He was amused by your awe at the palace, though had obviously been expecting it and was preening over showing off his culture and home to you. You couldn't help wondering, though, why he was interested in you when he was a prince. A prince of an alien world no less. You were just a little witch from Midgard...

You also noticed the blatant stares of the palace stares, nobles, basically anyone and everyone you passed. They all stopped to stare at the pair of you. "Why are they staring?" you asked Loki softly enough that they couldn't overhear. You couldn't tell if it was because you were Midgardian, or if it was because of Sera.

"Because you are a beautiful lady," he replied warmly, the words gliding off his silver tongue. You gave him a look. That wasn't true. He gave you a warm smile. "They are unused to the sight of a gorgeous woman on my arm. My idiot brother on the other hand..." he grinned and you couldn't help smiling. Thor liked women and probably would have sought your attention if you were even slightly more his type.

"Surely the sight couldn't be that uncommon," you teased, back to normal friendly territory. Light teasing was safe. Loki was over a thousand after all, there was no way that some lady hadn't caught his attention in all of those years. You'd had your share of relationships over your 500 years, they hadn't gone well, but that was a different problem.

He scoffed. "Most of the court ladies have feathers for brains and I've met rocks with more personality. Plus it is hard to remain interested in their flirtations when I can hear-" he tapped his forehead to indicate telepathically. You knew he didn't pry with his telepathic abilities, but he could overhear things even when he wasn't trying. "-that they are only interested because of my station, or believe me to be a poor substitute for my brother, or don't understand and fear my magic," he explained. "You, my darling, loved me when I was nothing more than a cat, a friend, a teammate, and finally your suitor. It is refreshing to be the pursuer instead of the pursued for once and even more refreshing that you have never once wanted me for my station, wanted my brother over me, or feared my power," he added warmly and kissed your cheek,

"You've been my dearest friend since we met, Lokitty. I never wanted that to go away, just become...more," you reminded him just as warmly. You flushed then and realized that you probably shouldn't call him 'Lokitty' here. He did have appearances to maintain after all.

"That is all I desire as well, dearest," his voice was a warm purr. His smile changed to a mischievous smirk. "You said you were uncomfortable with having maids because you used to be one?" he asked. He was genuinely curious, but also teasing a little, probably your discomfort with the maids in general.