Chapter 65

You held Autumn safely in your arms, snuggled against your chest as she purred softly, nuzzling you, like she'd finally found her home. /You're home now/ you promised her so she could relax. You weren't going to put her down or leave her. As soon as you got home you would perform the spell to bind the two of you together. You were also going to have to teach her how to balance on a broom, but that would come in time. There was no rush. Autumn was yours now for the rest of her life.

You looked at Loki when he made his teasing comment about knowing a familiar would choose you. You paid his words little attention as you noticed, instead, the wolf pup sniffing around Loki's feet. You smirked up at him, cradling Autumn close. "You're one to talk," you replied, just as teasingly and lovingly.

Loki raised an eyebrow, confusion crossing his expression. You turned your gaze to the wolf pup at his feet, drawing his gaze to follow yours. Loki's eyes widened in surprise and he knelt to the little pup. "Hello there, little one," he said fondly. Loki had always had a soft spot for small creatures and even moreso wolves.

The wolf pup sniffed Loki's hand and her tail wagged eagerly. She yipped softly and looked up at him with hope in her eyes, her tail wagging faster.

Whatever she had said wasn't for your ears, but for Loki's alone. You let them have their moment. You saw the love and joy in both their eyes and knew exactly what was going on.

Loki glanced up at you, looking unsure. /I'm not a witch. I-I can't have a familiar, can I?/ He asked, his voice frantic in your mind. He didn't want to let down the wolf pup who wanted him so badly. You felt how amazing it felt to him to be so wanted. To have someone other than you who wanted and needed him so badly.

You gave him a warm, gentle, smile. /You're the master magician of Asgard. It's more unacceptable that you don't have a familiar. You likely need one as much as I do, and just haven't realized it yet/ It was a pet theory of yours that some of Loki's mental health issues came from him not having a formal familiar. In his youth, he had always cared for injured animals around the palace and had adopted more than one illegal pet. He'd tried to compensate, even though he didn't know how or why.

You'd also realized you'd seen him so happy while you were trapped in cat form. You'd acted as a familiar for him, just as he'd acted for you while he remained in cat form.

He needed a familiar. He just didn't know or understand that.

You saw the relief cross his eyes. He wouldn't have to refuse the wolf. Wouldn't have to hurt himself or the wolf pup who so desperately wanted him. Those two belonged together and needed each other.

Loki gathered the wolf pup into his arms, holding her like a long-lost friend. "It would be my honor to have you as a companion," he told her aloud, so you could hear as well. The pup wriggled and licked his cheek. Loki laughed and stood and you saw the light in his eyes. "Her name is Fenna. She decided I needed looking after," he said fondly as he cuddled the pup. He was so at ease and happy and you knew for certain that this was the right decision and exactly what your Loki needed.

"A wise wolf indeed," you told him fondly and cuddled Autumn, pressing a kiss between her ears. "And I have a wonderful fox," you added, glad you'd both found familiars and knowing you'd care for them together.

Loki inclined his head and let you lead him back to where Tilly was manning the door. "Have familiars chosen you, professors?" She asked politely. Obviously, familiars had chosen you, but she had to ask for formality's sake.

You nodded and Loki let you take charge, knowing that you knew better how to handle the human customs. You signed the ledger for Tilly of which familiars you were taking, registering them to you and Loki. With that done, you carried them from the school to take them to their new home. Neither familiar complained about being carried. They were both little and they were eager to see their new home. Plus the closer they were to you, the more firmly the bonding would settle. And they needed to bond to you and Loki. You would teach Loki the formal binding spells later. They needed to stay as close to you as possible regardless to cement the bonds. They couldn't help you otherwise and you couldn't possibly care for them properly.

"Can you teleport us home?" You asked Loki when you were outside of the shields. You were feeling a bit unsteady, even with Autumn in your arms. You knew Loki was at full strength and it wouldn't bother him a bit to teleport you.

He gave you a warm smile. "Of course, magelet," he replied, glad you had actually asked for help for once. He wrapped an arm around your shoulders.

A moment later, you were standing in the common room of the tower. You weren't surprised that Loki wanted to show off your new familiars to the team. Especially Thor, as he cared about his brother's opinion. And he knew that Thor would be happy for him. He may not understand why Loki had a wolf pup now, but he would be happy for Loki, especially when he saw how happy Fenna made his brother.

The team looked up when you teleported in. Nat lit up. "You got a new familiar?" She asked excitedly and came over to investigate. You cooed to Autumn in her mind to reassure her that these were your friends and none of them would hurt her.

Stark came over too and stared at the creatures in your arms. "Neither of those are cats..." he said dryly.